Thirteenth Door

Daniela was lying in her bed, her gaze fixed on the ceiling. She had been looking for Clementine for three days and had failed to find her. She heard a quiet knock on the door, but she was too lethargic to open it.

"Leave me alone," she begged, exhausted.

She heard the door of her room opened but she didn't bother to turn around to see who it was. Bela's head covered her view as she glanced up at the ceiling.

"What are you doing here?"

"Just so you know you haven't eaten breakfast and it's already lunch time. Mother is worried and so am I," Bela sat down on her bed.

Daniela rose from her bed and turned to face Bela. Her eyes are puffy, and she has dark circles under them.

"I'm losing hope on finding her," she let out a sigh. "I keep convincing myself to let it go but I can't. There's something different about Clementine that I can't point my finger on."

"We still have two days left and just like I said before. I'm here to help you," she pulled Daniela into a tight warm hug. "Don't lose hope yet."

"If Cassandra only told mother the truth then everything is probably okay now," Daniela said in a low voice.

"Come on. It's time for lunch, if you're not seen at your chair mother would be worried about you."

Daniela stood up from her bed and so did Bela. The two of them left the room and headed towards the dining hall.

-

Alcina cocked her head, her gaze falling on Clementine, who was eating on the sofa. Her brow froze in response to the strange energy emanating from the woman. Alcina continued staring at Clementine, which she noticed.

"What seems to be the problem, Lady Dimitrescu?" She inquired as she swallowed a potato.

"I find you very weird these past few days. Are you planning something?" She crossed her arms.

"What? Me? Planning something?" She let out a loud laugh. "My lady, I feel offended for your accusations," she dramatically shook her head while holding her chest looking like she was hurt by the choice of words.

Alcina rolled her eyes as she writes down on her journal. Ever since the blood drinking event that occured, the two of them got somehow close to each other. Alcina has been treating her like an acquaintance now rather a servant and Clementine is still the same but with less fright from the lady.

"Are you planning to escape?" She asked, her eyes not leaving the page.

"If I wanted to, I would've done it a few days ago," she drank her water. "Aren't you supposed to be in the dining hall at this time? The girls are surely there waiting for you to come."

Alcina closed her journal and placed it on the cabinet at the table. She rose from her and removed her glasses from her eyes.

"I'm doing this on purpose in order for Daniela to be able to join us for lunch. She skipped breakfast earlier, and I believe she's still frightened about not being able to locate you," Alcina shrugged her shoulders.

Clementine dropped her spoon to the ground. "She didn't eat breakfast?" She stated out loud. "What if she also skips lunch? I'm becoming concerned; perhaps you should inform her that you are aware of where I am," she added, her lower lip bitten.

Alcina shook her head. "I'm not telling anyone that I know where you are. Not yet, i'm still waiting for Cassandra."

Clementine's forehead furrowed. "Why is Cassandra involved? What did she do?"