Twenty-Fifth Door

Because of what she read, Clementine couldn't sleep that night. She stayed awake and spent time in the library reading books about the dagger; she was about to tell Alcina what she had learned, but the woman had to leave because she had been called by Miranda, and she hasn't returned home yet tonight. She was clutching a book about the history of knives and weapons, and the book said that the dagger was only a myth.

"The dagger can't be a myth," she mumbled as she turned the page. "No more any further details?" She groaned and returned the book to the shelves, closing it.

She rubbed her temples, feeling a surge of worry and anxiety in her mind. She doesn't understand a single thing that's going on or what Vanessa is about to do. She strolled out of the library and into the kitchen, hoping to sip some milk that might help her sleep for the night. She came to a complete halt in front of Alcina's study, looking at the door as a thought occurred to her that she needed to go inside. She pulled the key from her pocket and entered the room; as the family's personal maid, she had been granted access to several of the castle's rooms by Alcina.

She walked inside the room, softly shut the door, and opened the lampshade, casting a small amount of light around the room so no one would notice her presence. She looked down at the table, which was strewn with paperwork. She sat down in the chair and pulled out one of the drawers, revealing a black clip folder, which she opened to see what was inside.

As she reviewed the data, a smile appeared on her lips. "The hall of four?" She gave a slight nod as she continues to read.

She put the folder back in the drawer once she finished reading and turned off the lamp. She departed the room and began walking away, intending to go to the hall of four, but she came to a stop when she and Vanessa encountered each other in the corridor. When Vanessa noticed Clementine, she stiffened and hastily put what she was holding in her pocket.

"Vanessa, what are you doing here at this hour?" Clementine had inquired.

"Um..." She swallowed hard, attempting to come up with a response. "I was going to get some milk from the kitchen!"

"Really? I was also planning on getting some milk. Do you want to accompany me?" She gave a kind smile.

"Me? You want me to accompany you?" She asked, pointing to herself, surprised.

"Well, yes," she shrugged. "I hope you're not trying to avoid talking to me about what happened with Ingrid earlier."

"No, I'm not trying to avoid you. I was simply embarrassed by what had occurred earlier," she let out a sigh. "It's not that I intended to duplicate you; it's just that... I'm not sure why everyone admires you and tries to avoid me. So I assumed that imitating you would make them like me, but that was not the case."

Clementine nodded. "Vanessa, you don't have to pretend to be someone else in order for people to like you. People would like you for who you are if you just be yourself."

Vanessa responded with a nod. They went to the kitchen together, where Clementine prepared milk for the two of them while they conversed at the table.

Vanessa raised the cup of milk to her lips and remarked, "You seem kind Clementine."

"You seem pleasant as well," she added with a smile. "I'd like to get to know you a little better."

Vanessa gave a kind smile. "I'm in the same boat!"

Vanessa drew Clementine's attention with a nod. The woman rubbed her eyes as a yawn escaped her lips.

"All of a sudden, I'm feeling drowsy," Vanessa explained.