Twenty-Ninth Door

Alcina and her daughters have just finished eating breakfast; the girls do not have any classes today, so they will have plenty of free time to do whatever they please. Alcina wiped the inside of her mouth with a table napkin as she kept an eye on Cassandra, who was drinking her milk that had been mixed with blood. She cleared her throat, which drew the attention of the three girls around her.

"Is there something wrong, mother?" Bela inquired.

She cracked a grin. "Oh, nothing, are you finished with your meal?"

They all gave her a friendly nod in response to her words.

"Cassandra, I would like to have a word with you. Come and see me in my study," she said this as she got up from her seat and walked out of the dining hall, eventually.

While raising their brows in recognition of her, Bela and Daniela observed her.

"What did you do?" Daniela was the one who inquired.

"And why are you being called?" Bela tapped her index and middle fingers on the table.

She shrugged her shoulders. "I'm not sure what it is, but mother appears to be in a good mood, right?"

"Did she find out about what you did?" she inquires. Daniela swallowed and covered her mouth. "That's impossible, Bela and I assisted you in removing the paint."

"Yes, and the paint on her dress appears to be unnoticeable; she hasn't discovered anything yet, has she?" Bela bit the tip of her index finger. "This is terrible, I'm getting nervous, and I specifically told you not to wear your mother's old dress when we're in the art room!"

"But it was the perfect dress for the portrait!" She sighed and rolled her eyes.

"You should leave right away; you shouldn't keep her waiting any longer." Daniela shared her thoughts.

"If you make her wait any longer, she will most likely become enraged. If she ever asks tell her that you did nothing!" Bela let out a sigh.

Cassandra pushed herself out of her chair and took a long, deep breath. "I just finished breakfast and here I am being called."

"Best of luck!" Bela and Daniela both gave her a thumbs-up, which she appreciated.

Cassandra walked out of the room and immediately headed to Alcina's study, where she knocked on the door first before walking in. The door to the room opened while Alcina was standing in front of the window, and she turned around when she heard Cassandra walk through the door.

While seated on the couch, she issued the following command: "Lock the door."

Cassandra locked the door and walked over to Alcina, who patted the seat next to her and motioned for her to take a seat beside her, which she dutifully did.

"You called me, mother?" As she swallowed, she inquired.

Alcina looked her straight in the eyes, which made her feel even more nervous than she already was. She can already tell that this is a serious subject, and that it is not about the dress she smeared with paint, as she had assumed.

"You've been keeping something from me."

"What are you talking about, mother?" she gulped.

"Did you really kill Sam?" She inquired, raising an irate brow.

Cassandra sat up straighter in her seat, a lump in her throat causing her to swallow again and stiffen. She looked at Alcina, who was looking at her with a serious expression on her face, knowing she couldn't lie.