60 ||Ominous

[Nova]
Thanks to Tony's inventions and a device of Sam's called Redwing, some mechanical robot that can serve as a turbo speed on his suit as well as an own flying weapon, placed on his back, also being a gun or bomb or anything in the air, we know where the area of their base is exactly. It is far from both the lake and Ciudad Victoria, placed in their middle. The surface in an inconspicuous mountain and field landscape, giving no hope for civilisation far and wide.

We are spread out in teams of two, at least fifty metres separating the groups from each other to cover a large area. Placed at exactly one point I marked red on the map, it has been easy to sneak in there; the trees and shrubs serve perfectly as a shield from unwanted eyes.

James is next to me, breath flat to avoid any noises that can be avoided. They made us a team, because, even if they cannot trust my person, they can trust my love for him, and that I would do whatever James wanted me to do in the worst case. Obviously, he must have helped Tony and his group of fighters more than once for his social job, although he promised me he never has been in real danger. Nevertheless, it took at least five minutes of a heated discussion between the both of us in front of everyone, to convince me of him really being my company. The worst of it all was showing the others that I am not capable of standing him for long.

When we got to our point, I push back the urge to start a conversation about it again and decide to do it this evening, when all this is done. Maybe this time, he is not able to get me into make-up sex.

I grunt internally.

He always will be able to get me into make-up sex.

Peter got the privilege to stay back. He fought to be in with us, telling us about how useful he would be as ears and eyes that are soundless, but Tony finally could convince him how badly we needed someone to observe the area around us we could not cover up when we were underground. So, the teenage boy stayed behind in another tiny room in another warehouse in Ciudad Victoria, making sure to have our backs.

Then, Sam and Steve built a team, placed perhaps seventy metres to the right of James and me. I cannot make them out by the blank eye, but I am sure they found their spot by now.

Tony and Natasha are hundred and fifty metres right handed ahead from us, and due to the little electronic speakers in our ears, I know they are in position as well.

Admittedly, it somehow excites me not to be alone in this. For the first time, this is my chance to prove myself in a team. Lonely work is what I grew used to, perfectionated it in almost every detail, what I can – but in a team? I finally have a new challenge, and whether I want it or not, I love challenges. 

Furthermore, I promised myself no solos in this. Tony has been pretty clear, and after James caught me down in that nasty cellar, it was the first time I actually felt bad about my methods. Everyone else could have walked in and I probably would not have minded, but something about the situation was embarrassing when stormy blue eyes caught the red of the torture.

Badly hoping I am going to stick to my plan, or rather, that Lilith will stick to it, I exhale a little louder, her being the reason I never was in a team before.

As if on cue, James's cybernetic hand, cold since he took off his regulator, strokes along my back. »You won't leave us alone.«

Nervously biting my lip, I ask myself again how he learned to know me so well in such a short time. It is like he can literally read me. Nonetheless, I glance down, doubting his words, not his faith. How can he be so sure? How can he even call me the same person as her? I am not. When she takes control, I feel different – I see differently, I smell differently, I move differently. Every sense is sharper, every instinct more intense, especially the one for my own survival. How can he be so sure I changed in just a couple days? She changed?