CHAPTER FORTY FIVE

November 20th, 1960

My job was still utter hell to go through, unsurprisingly enough. Almost no one had applied even a month later—and if anyone had, my manager or whoever was in charge of that all was stupid enough to turn them away. Apparently my restaurant had been the subject of much gossip around town, or maybe even a cautionary tale for people that dared to tempt fate in what would possibly happen here. Nobody wanted to come work in a place where they were at the risk of being touched left and right. And they were right to avoid it, no matter how desperately we need the extra hands here. I wouldn't want any other person going through what I had...or maybe something even worse.

But with such grim news aside, the boys had always managed to make any type of shite day I had. They had recently been toying around and playing at this other club called the Top Ten. Conditions were better there from what we had with any of Bruno's venues, according to John anyway. So because of how much they liked the place, they decided to play a couple times until they caught the owner's eye. And now? Now they were off to start another residency at a different club.

The boys had agreed without a second thought and we were due to move in there tomorrow, to all of our amusement. Bruno on the other hand...wasn't as happy about the news. He immediately terminated whatever contract The Beatles had with him but didn't stop them from performing until just recently. I suppose he wanted to get the last grab of cash from one of his finest Liverpool bands before cutting them off for however long he wanted to do so. But with all the stuff that Bruno had made us go through, none of us really gave it much attention and dismissed his fits. He should've seen this inevitable end coming since he first started to put the band into overdrive the second we arrived.

My heart twinged the tiniest bit as I walked through the doors of the Bambi Kino for what could be the last time, oddly enough. I was actually taking note of everything on the walls and on the floor no matter how dingy it all was. Somehow a part of me was upset to be leaving after getting used to being here half the time.

There was just something bittersweet about going through somewhere for the last time, no matter the bad memories that were clung there. After it had become such a safe haven for us all—there was no mistaking that it would forever be marked in our brains as such. But as soon as that oddly familiar scent of piss hit my nostrils again, it snapped me right back to reality. Me missing this place might've just been the delusions coming from all my lack of sleep, not because I actually fancied it. I honestly couldn't believe that I was about to go on some mantra and make excuses to make this place look better in my mind.

Once I was nearing the door, I was feeling rather relieved at the news of moving and was ready to just flop into bed tonight without any other hassles. Maybe doing a little round of something with John too, but I was never opposed to that no matter how tired I was. Creaking open the door, I mostly expected them all to be snoring their arses off as usual with all their stuff cleanly packed to the side—but instead, I walked into the contents of George's luggage splayed over the floor. A piece of luggage that I had spent all of last night packing after work along with John and I's stuff. If there was one thing that made my blood boil the most, it was seeing this kind of mess after just cleaning up. Almost the same as taking care of children in my eyes.

My eyes narrowed at George and John who were huddled in between the two bunks with their guitars, seemingly unbothered by the mess in front of them. "Oi, you proper git! What the fuck is all yer stuff that I packed after work last night doin' all over the damn floor? And even with all of that shite on the floor you and John are just fiddling around with your guitars?" I close the door behind me and was very close to pulling my hair out at seeing the whole room a mess. It was looking all proper earlier and just after a few hours, it looked exactly as it did before I cleaned.