Chapter Twenty · Nine

(Eliza's Bedroom above. Imagine all the trophies and things like that I previously mentioned.)

Julian

The next morning, I awoke to the early sun pouring in from the window, brightening the room with a florid orange. Soft snores spread through my ears suddenly, and I looked over to see a sound asleep. Eliza. The silk white sheet wrapped around her small frame, and just at the moment, she was resting on her side, her body facing me while she had an arm stretched out and the other at her side. A few of her dark hair strands rested upon her rosy cheeks and her salmon-pink-colored lips were marginally apart. If there were a sleeping beauty, it would be her. I sat up in her bed, pulling the sheet off my naked body and moving slowly to avoid waking her. Taking a step out, my foot hitting the warm wooden floor along with the other. I began searching my pants for my phone, which was lying on the floor. I retrieved my phone from my back jean pants pocket, then checked the time. It was six-ten in the morning. Shit. I needed to get home.

I sat my phone down onto the white dresser by the bed, then glanced around the room in a search of my clothes. Once I found them, I began getting dressed, and while doing so; I watched Eliza, reassuring myself she was still asleep. After buttoning up my jeans, I leaned over and grabbed my phone, then stuck it into my side pocket. I placed my shoes on before I tipped-toed out of the room and down the stairs. I was trying to avoid Eliza because I had little excuse to rush out of here and didn't want to be confronted about it-it wasn't like I could tell her about the girl I'd concealed in the basement of my home. I reached the downstairs floor after being painfully quiet and headed for the door. I was sure I was good to go. Before I left, I gave a final look over my shoulder and when I did, my heart nearly sunk. At the top of the steps, standing there a fully clothed Eliza.

"Holy shit." I said, startled by her sudden appearance. I had no idea how the hell she got there so quickly without me even noticing or hearing her. We made eye contact and when we did, she started making her way down the steps. "Uh... hey, I didn't know you were, um awake." I say in a slight nervous tone. "I just woke up," she says and I nodded slowly before meeting her at the bottom of the staircase. She stood on the last step and watched me bring a hand to her face before she looked up at my mine. I lightly brushed back some of her hair strands, as I did this, I examined her. Her eyebrows were lowered and pulled closer together, her eyes were squinted, and her lips were pressed tightly together. Suddenly I made a frown because right then, I had noticed she seemed... off like she was upset.

"Are you okay?" I asked her concerned and partly curious. She nodded, but I didn't believe her for a second and I began to worry if it was something I might've done, I need answers, truthful ones. "Is there something I might've... done?" I questioned, but before she could even get in a word, I couldn't help but explain myself, feeling this sudden guilt weigh on my shoulders. "Look, if it's about what we did last night, I didn't mean to cross any of your boundaries. I mean I had my own doubts about it at first because you were drinking... and I was sober, I felt like I shouldn't have done that, I mean I thought it was okay-you said it was, but now you don't seem like you're okay and I am really sorry if I hurt you." I said to her apologetically and she stared at me for a moment, then suddenly she gave a reaction I wasn't expecting. A small smile crept its way onto her lips and she let out a soft chuckle.

I peered intently at her while she grabbed ahold of my and placed it in her's. "Julian, you're... such a sweet guy and it makes me feel safe that you are so careful. To answer your question... It's not that, what we did was okay, I wanted it and you did nothing wrong, so... don't apologize for that." She told me. An instant wave of relief washed over me to hear her say that. Eliza then cleared her throat. "But... on the other hand... " she paused for a second, dropping her gaze from me before continuing, "I was a little disappointed when I woke up and didn't see you next to me." Immediately I sighed, then said, "Um, that-that wasn't what it looked like." I told her and she looked up at me again. "And... what did it look like? What was that even about?" She asked me. "Listen, I know it looks like I was sneaking out, but I promise I wasn't, well, I was actually but not like whatever bad thing it is you're thinking. I just I didn't want to wake you and I, have something important that I need to attend to this morning and it completely slipped my mind last night, but trust me, I wouldn't leave if I didn't have to." I explained.

She nodded her head slowly at me, and I was sure she understood. "Mm... Are you sure you're not making up some excuse to leave me after you've gotten what you wanted?" Eliza said, accusingly. Dammit. I let out a sigh and immediately shook my head. Okay, so maybe she didn't understand anything at all. "No–no, of course not Eliza," I said as I pulled her to me and lifted her chin to meet her eyes with mine, assuming this was okay since she didn't pull away. "You don't have to worry about that because I'd never do that to you. I... I really have to go, but I promise it has nothing to do with last night." I reassured her. This time she seemed convinced, her shoulders relaxing and her eyes softening. "I'm–I'm sorry, I shouldn't be accusing you of that... It's just, I like you, Julian and maybe more than I have been admitting to you and myself." there was a sudden fluttering feeling in my heart hearing her say those words, "I like you Julian." And I am in love with you, Eliza. I wish I could say. "Hey, hey it's okay," I interrupted her and comforted her by rubbing her upper arms. "We don't have to worry about that right now. We can enjoy each other's company and we'll figure it out along the way," I told her. In due time, she'll see I'm right for her and she'll be head over heels for me. I just know it.

Eliza let out a deep breath and shot me a warm smile before saying, "Okay." I gave her a side smile in return, then pulled away and made my way to the door. I reached for the knob and twisted it; the door opened, and when I was just about to walk out, Eliza then called out to me. "Hey," she says, and I turned around. "You never said where you were going." She mentioned. I shot her a side smirk. "I'll... see you later." I replied before quickly shutting the door behind me so she couldn't ask me any more questions. That was a close one.

××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××

This chapter was a little longer than intended, nevertheless I hope you still enjoyed it.

Remember to vote and comment.

Thank you! ❤🖤❤