Chapter Nineteen

Julian

It was eight o'clock at night — the sun had already died down around this time, and now it's dark out. Earlier today, I had called Eric and discussed the rest of the details of where I wanted him to meet me, which was at my house. I figured it was the best spot to meet. There were no witnesses, the neighbors pretty much kept to themselves, and best of all, there would be nothing that would draw more attention to the police.

I prepared myself for what was to come, sharpening one of the biggest kitchen knives I owned and sticking it right into my back pocket. I know he's probably expecting to walk out of here completely alive and with his daughter, but what he doesn't know is that he won't. I know what I said I'd do, but I realized that's an inconvenience for me. Like I said before, I couldn't trust his word. He knows who I am, where I live, and worse, I kidnapped his daughter. I'd be stupid to not tie up a loose end.

I heard a car door shut coming from outside. I went and shut off all the lights in my house, then stood behind the front door. A couple of minutes after, there was a knock. I took a peek through the peephole to confirm it was who I was expecting, and once I did, I opened the door. There Eric stood in baggy navy jeans and a terracotta-colored plaid shirt with black sneakers. He seemed to be lost in thought, mixed between anger and nervousness. I could tell he wasn't sure how this would play out, either.

"Welcome." I greeted calmly.
"Are you going to invite me in or what?" Eric asked, agitated.
"I was getting to that point." I replied, stepping aside for him to come in. Eric took a step inside, slowly, and observed, taking in the room. "Why are all the lights off?" He asks, standing in the middle of my living room. I closed the front door and locked it, then turned to face him, standing in the way of it. I responded with, "I thought it was best this way."
"Whatever you say, man. Why don't we just cut the bullshit? Where's my daughter?" His voice was loud, echoing off my walls.
"Clever Eric, making noise, so your daughter can hear you and you'll know where to search. Unfortunately for you, I made sure she was out cold." I say, smirking. My smirk was instantly wiped off my face when he caught me off guard unexpectedly, grabbing a fist full of my jacket and pushed me up against the front door and held up his other fist in the air, already drawn back. His chest rose and fell quickly—his anger was visible. "I'm done playing these fucking games with you." He spat. I didn't make a move, nor did I make a sound. I will let him think he holds the power, and then I will simply remind him who holds all the cards here.

"Go ahead, hit me. You can take your anger out on me all you want–it won't change the fact that I still know where your daughter is and you don't. The choice is yours." I told him.
"Fuck." He mumbled before dropping his fist and letting me go. "What do you want from me?"
"I already told you, I want your word that if I give you back your daughter that you'll leave Eliza alone, you will lose all contact with her. It's a simple exchange, no cops, no charges." I say.
"Is it really just that simple?" He questions.
"Yes, it is."
"Yeah, well, I don't believe that for a second." He scoffs. "What makes you think you can trust my word or that I can trust yours?"
"I understand your skepticism, Eric. You have every right to be skeptical, but I'm not asking for your trust. I can see that your daughter is important to you and you won't risk her for anything and neither will I with Eliza. We are the same in that area. As far as you trust me, well, you came all this way. I told you where I lived and I proved I had your daughter. I think that's more than enough."
"But, you're also some crazy asshole who is doing all of this over some girl, just pathetic really, and what do you even want with her?"
"That is none of your concern."
Eric bitterly chuckled before saying, "you know, there's a lot of shit about her that you don't know about. She isn't who you think she is."
"I think that's for my judgement." I said. Who the hell is he to tell me about her? Why would I trust anything he even says? He doesn't know what he's talking about.