twenty-one

|Skylar|

It's been three weeks. In all of those three weeks, Xander has been filling me in on what was happening with his business. The rival is trying to break into an important warehouse but luckily, that warehouse has extra security. Maria hasn't spoken to neither me or Alyssa since that day. Alyssa doesn't seem to care. She claims she's not as close with her mother.

About Taylor, he texted me and asked to meet me in the same gym he trained me in. Luca drove me. I walked inside and I see Taylor punching at a punching bag. "Aren't you supposed to be resting?" I say. He looks back and chuckle. "Glad you're okay." I say.

"I pull through things. Wasn't my first time getting shot, and it won't be my last." Is all he says. He turns to me. "You ready?" He asked me and I nodded. I go to the weights but he stops me. "No. No weights today. You've already excelled in that. We're gonna go ahead and train you. If there's any situation where you have to fight, you have to. Can't be scared."

"Wait, you fought Lucia when you trained her?" I asked him.

"I didn't bruise her. She took a couple of hits but she was fine. You'll be fine too." He says. He showed me how to get in a certain stance. "We're gonna start with blocks. I'm gonna hit you somewhere and you try to block it." I nodded.

Maybe I was thinking about it too hard. His hand swiftly hits my hip and I groan and fall over. "That wasn't fair. You hit below my waist." I say, standing back up.

"Doesn't matter." He says. "You can't think about it too hard. Don't think about it at all actually. Use your instinct. Everybody has it." He says and I nod. He hits again but I blocked it this time. "Huh, good job." He says and I smile.

~

I sat against the wall drinking from my water bottle. "So, how's everything with you? This is friend-friend. moment. Not mentor-student moment." Taylor asks.

I sigh. "Maria is definitely up to something." I say. "Don't share this with anyone. I wanna know for sure. Maybe it's just me but I don't know." I chuckle.

"What made you say that?" He asked.

"She threatened to lie to Xander saying that I was a spy if I didn't stay away from Alyssa. I mentioned that there were cameras and she stiffened. Like she was hiding something." I say. "Alyssa believes she's up to something too but I don't know. Maybe we're both being paranoid."

"Huh. Alright, it's a secret between me and you but I didn't trust her when she first came too. Asking too many questions. Wanting to know too much stuff. So I understand. I won't tell any of this to Boss or Luca and Sandro. But I will let you help me what all we need." He says. I nod. "What else?" He asked.

"Um, my mom's in the hospital." I said. "She has lung cancer. Probably from all the cigarettes she smoked." I said.

"You don't plan to see her?" He asked.

"No." I say. "After all the hell she's put me through from my time with her. Like they say, karma's real and it gets you. I don't care if she's my mother. She didn't care that I was her daughter when she beat me and said those awful things to me." I say.

He sighs. "Which is why you need to see her." He says. "Get that weight off of your shoulders. Fucking scream at her if you need to. Let her know how much she's hurt you. Tell her the fuck off. But get a chance to see her one last time before she dies." He tells me. I look at him.

"I'll think about it." I said.

~

Here we are. In front of the hospital that my mom is in. After thinking about it, Taylor was right. I need to say what all I need to say to my mom before she dies. It's not positive things, either. She needs to know what all she's done to me. How she had effected me, even to this day.