sixteen

|Xander|

"He's catching on to us, Xander." Luca says. Nervousness in his tone of voice. He sighs. "How are we supposed to do this with Marcelo figuring out our every move?" His voice is now laced with frustration.

"We'll figure it out." I tell him, focused on the file in front of me.

"Man, do you not care?!" Luca's voice raised a whole octave. I slowly lifted my head and glared at him. He's my best friend, yes. But he needs to control his temper. Especially with me. "Sorry." He said quietly. I nodded and looked back down. "He could ruin everything." He sits down next to me.

"Yes he could. But remember we have something he doesn't— a well trained crew. He has about what, 35 people on his team, we have 42. And we're all heavily trained and know our way around weapons." I say. "And I might teach Skylar how to shoot so she knows how to defend herself."

Luca shakes his head. "It's best if we leave Sky out of it. Don't want her becoming trigger happy like your ass." He says, making me laugh loudly.

"She's been apart of it ever since I told her what I did for a living." I tell him. He nods. "She'll be fine. If I teach her how to shoot now, it could work in her benefit. She'll be fine, Luc. I'll have Taylor teach her since he had taught me." I told him.

He nods. Before he leaves, he pats my shoulder. "I trust you." Is all he says.

"You don't have a choice but to." I say. "Have I ever given you reason not to?" I asked him.

"That one time in high school where you promised that you wouldn't make fun of me about my braces but ended up doing it in front of an entire audience in the cafeteria." He says, making me laugh. "I ain't forget about that shit."

"Dont you have a date to attend to?" I ask him. He and that new maid and Skylar's new friend, Alyssa are somewhat dating. I'm happy for him. He needs someone to calm his ass down.

I pick up my phone and dial Taylor. He picks up after three rings. "Sí, Capo?" He says into the phone. (Yes, boss?)

"Taylor, ho bisogno che tu faccia qualcosa per me." I told him. He hums in response. "I need you to teach Skylar how to handle a gun." I say. "You've taught me, Luca and Sandro. You've also taught my men and Lucia. Skylar needs to learn too." I tell him. (Taylor, I need you to do something for me)

"Yes, Boss. I'll get right on it." He tells me.

"Thank you, Taylor. Make sure she knows everything. We all know she's very fragile." I say.

"Yes." He says. He then hangs up the phone. I started back on my work. That was until my phone pinged and I receive a text from Sky. I open it and it's a picture of a dog. A French bulldog to be exact. The text under it read 'Can I get this? It's so cute.'

To be honest, I'm not the biggest fan of dogs. Small dogs in particular. They cause too much ruckus and I don't like for my house to be out of order. But she loves animals. I figured this out when I had took her to the zoo. She adored every animal that was there. Even the lions and those shits creeped me out.

'I'll think about it.' I texted back. I placed my phone back down and put it on silent so I don't get distracted. I got started back on my work.

|Skylar|

"I'm nervous." I confessed. I was standing in the huge backyard. I had a gun in my hand. It's heavier than it looks. Xander told me that Taylor will teach me how to shoot. But it's scary. I don't know why.

"There's nothing to be nervous about." Taylor says from behind me. "You have to have confidence. Then you won't feel as nervous as you do now." He says. I looked back at him and he nodded towards the dummy.

I breathed in and out. "Okay. Building confidence." I say. I hear him chuckle from behind me. I groan. "It's scary, okay? I've never held a gun before."

"And when Lucia got taught, she never held a gun either. But she had confidence and she knew that learning would benefit her in the future. Boss wants you to be able to protect yourself. He may not always be there to do so." Taylor tells me. He's right, too. Xander could be on a trip somewhere and it may leave me to have to shoot someone.

The door opens, focusing my attention to who it was. It was Luca, Alessandro and Xander. They all have sunglasses on. Seeing them all come out here to support me eased my mind. "How you doing, Sky?" Luca asked. "You nervous?" He asks. I nodded.

"We haven't started yet." Taylor tells them.

"You're apart of this family now. You're not in the mafia but you're associated with people in it." Alessandro tells me. I look at them. "Skylar, you're stronger than you think. When your shoot that dummy, close your eyes and think of all the hell you've been through and take that anger out on your target." He says.

"You got this, baby." Xander says. "Dont be scared." I look at him. He nods to me and I nod back.

"Close your eyes." Taylor says. "Relax your fingers and when you're ready, pull back on the trigger." He says.

I closed my eyes. I imagined my father. How he used to beat me senseless. How he called me names. How he used to tell me he wished I was aborted. I take a deep breath. I hate you, Dad. I pull the trigger and I slightly flinch at the loud gunfire it made. I slowly opened my eyes.

"Skylar, you hit the middle." Taylor said. His voice was in awe. I look back at him and smiled.

"Who did you think of, Sky?" Alessandro asked me.

I looked to him. "My dad." I say. "Can I go again?" I ask Taylor. He nods and got another dummy. I close my eyes and thought of my mom who was no different. She was evil. She didn't care for me. She didn't protect me from my dad. "I hate you, Mom." I whisper under my breath and pull the trigger. This time, I didn't flinch.

"Impressive skills, Sky." Luca says. "Let me guess, your mom?" He asked and I nodded. He chuckles. I look at Xander. He smiles. I walk to him and wrap my arms around his neck.

"My little gangster baby." I giggled and kissed his lips. "Let's go inside for a movie and ice cream." He says and I nod. "Taylor, thank you. You may continue tomorrow with whatever you feel as though you need to teach her." He tells Taylor. Taylor nods.

I feel more strong. I don't feel weak anymore. I feel like I'm a superhero. My dad's dead. I smile, knowing that he is. Now, it's my mom. I hope Xander and his crew catches her. But this time, I wanna deal with her.

~
Hey readers! How are you feeling today? Hope you enjoyed this chapter! Skylar has upped her game :)). Stay tuned for the next chapter! Comment your thoughts and vote. Thanks for reading! Love ya ❤️