Back at home, Nick stored Anne's urn in a safe place. The guys were trying to lift up the mood, but everyone felt grim. Then Tyler had an idea: eating out at a dinner not far from the house. Everyone got up to leave except Nick.

"You guys go, I don't feel like eating." I wanted to say something, to push him to come with us but I didn't want to overstep. I looked at Tyler, the one who understood and knew Nick better, waiting for his cue.

"Okay, I'll bring you something for later then," Tyler said and turned to leave. When our eyes met, he shook his head as if to tell me it was better not to insist.

We left the house and after a few minutes, I stopped in my tracks. Something kept pulling me back. Fear.

"You know what guys, you go. I'm not really hungry either," I said, knowing they wouldn't buy it. Yet, they simply nodded, and we went our separate ways.

Back at the house, Nick was no longer in the leaving room. I first looked in Anne's bedroom, thinking I would find him there like I did when we first arrive. He wasn't there, so I moved to the next logical place: his bedroom. The door was slightly open.

"Nick?" I slowly called as I carefully pushed the door.

He was sitting on the floor, his back against his bed, looking at the window in front of him. He didn't say anything, so I approached. I sat next to him. He didn't move. I took his hand, which didn't seem to bother him, and held it. Maybe I was overstepping but I felt that I had to be there. I rested my head on his shoulder and we just stayed there, like that, in silence.

I wondered what was going through his head, I wished to know, but I didn't say a word. He didn't need words, he just needed to know that he wasn't alone.

His grip tightened around my hand. I looked up to see a tear rolling down his cheek. I shifted and stood on my knees, in front of him. I let go of his hand to grab his face and I softly brushed the tear. I looked into his beautiful eyes, and for the first time, I saw vulnerability. I pulled him closer and held him tight in my arms.

His shoulders started to shake. And I stayed there, holding him as if to keep him from crumble. Stroking his hair as he finally poured it all out.

When his tears dried out, we kept embraced. He didn't push me away until the doorbell rang.

"I'll get it," I told him, raising up to my feet.

The bell rang again before I could get to the door. When I opened it, I found a woman I didn't recognize. Her eyes were red as if she had been crying. I don't remember seeing her at the funeral but then again, I was more focused on Nick.

"Yes?" I said.

"Is Nick here?" Her voice was feeble.

"And you are?"

"I'm is mother." My lips flattened in response and I frowned. I knew what she had done to him, how much she hurt him, and she dares to show up just like that? And today for all of the days to realize she is a mother.

"I don't think it is a good time right now."

"Please, I just want to see how he's doing," she pleaded. I could see tears forming in her eyes. My heart faltered and it almost swayed me to let her in, but I owed her nothing, my role was to be there for Nick and protect him.

"I'm really-" I stopped when a pair of hands pulled me to the side. My lips parted not knowing how he would react.

"Oh baby, you've grown so much," the woman said.

"Save it. What do you want?"

"To talk to you."

"You're seven years late. Get out."

"This is. Was. My mother's house."

"The one you've also abandoned? You didn't even have the decency to show up at her funeral. Just go away. I won't waste any more time with you." He left us abruptly and I turned to the woman not really knowing what to say.

"I'm sorry for that. I'm Claire." I looked down at the hand she offered but didn't take it.

"Julie." She clenched her fist and nodded understanding that I was on her son's side.

"Well, I am glad to see Nick has a loyal friend. I really want to redeem myself. To mend what I've broken, or at least try. So here is my number." She gave me a card. "And if not Nick, would you meet me some time? To talk?"

"Okay."

"Thank you." And just like that, she left, leaving me with her card, not knowing what to do with it. I saved the number on my phone and kept the card to give it to Nick later. He'd decide what to do with it.

I went back to his bedroom where he was writing furiously at his desk. I thought it was best to let him be for the moment.

 I thought it was best to let him be for the moment