Part 29 - Paying It Back

"Welcome to Crackhead Wasteland." Sarah said as they drove up to Barry's house.

"I don't know about this, man." Pope said sounding hesitant and worried.

"J, why are we at Barry's?" Brielle asked looking over to JJ, who was in the drivers seat taking out the car keys.

"This'll only take a second." JJ replied getting out the car.

"Where you going?" John B asked.

"Yo soy justica." JJ replied walking into the house.

"Did you glean anything from that?" Pope asked the teens sitting down in the van.

"You know someone should probably-" Kiara said.

"Yeah, I got it." John B sighed getting out of the car and going into the house.

"What are they doing in there?" Kiara asked looking out the window.

"Hopefully not anything illegal." Sarah replied.

"They're taking long." Brielle mumbled.

"Yep." Pope sighed, then they opened the door and walked out of the van and stretched their legs.

"All right, so we're looking at five grand each for reparations for putting us through that bullshit." JJ said walking out of the house with the bag. "Sorry about that, y'all."

"So that's what we're doing now? Robbing drug dealers?" Kiara scoffed.

"This Barry guy is gonna find out." Sarah said with her arms crossed. "And he's gonna come after us."

"And it'll probably be at a time where we won't have anything to protect us from that." Brielle joined.

"Yes, that's right. This is not the time to start wildin' out." Pope said facing JJ.

"How'd you guys like having a gun pulled on you?" JJ asked.

"Relax." John B said walking close to his face.

"He had it right here on you, bro." JJ replied pointing at his face.

"Look. We've gotta go get the gold, okay?" John B said, the teacher for the bag. "Just give me that shit. We're putting it back-" Then JJ grabbed him and pinned him to the van. "Do you feel like a tough guy? Huh? What are you gonna do when he comes for us?"

"We punch him in the throat." JJ replied sternly.

"Yeah, good fucking idea, JJ." John B replied sarcastically.

"I'm not putting it back." JJ said grabbing the bag and getting into the van. No one followed. "You guys getting in or what?" He asked, then looked up at Brielle who was next to Sarah and Kiara, then got out. "What?"

"We're sick of your shit." John B replied.

"Oh, my shit?" JJ asked scoffing.

"Yeah, yeah. Your shit." John B said.
"Yes." Kiara said. "Your pulling guns on people shit."
"You acting like a maniac-" Pope said.

"Okay, Pope. I took the fall for you, man!" JJ exclaimed. "You know how much money I owe because of you?"

"I'm gonna pay you back, and I never asked you to do that!" Pope replied.

"I just did!" JJ said. "Pay it back. Right here, right now, by myself. You know what? That's exactly what I'm gonna do. Go off by myself." He said grabbing the bag and walking away.

"JJ." Brielle called after him. "JJ!"

"JJ." Pope said walking after him before being pulled back.

"Hey, wait man." John B said pulling him back.

"Just let him go." Sarah sighed.

"Oh, fottimi." Brielle mumbled, then walked after him.

"Brielle!" Kiara exclaimed, but was ignored.

"JJ." Brielle said running up to him.

"What?" He asked angry, still walking.

"Please don't walk away." Brielle sighed, then he stopped.

"Why not? All you guys do is judge me and yell at me for what I do." JJ said turning around, facing her.

"We don't want you to get hurt, that's why!" Brielle replied.

"Yeah, well, I can decide that for myself! I don't need your opinion or your judgement. I know what I'm doing and what I'm getting into. I can handle myself." JJ said.

"And what if you can't?" Brielle asked taking a step forward. "What if they catch you in a vulnerable state and you get hurt? Or even worse? Who's gonna be there to stop it? Me? Our friends?"

"It doesn't matter. I have nothing to lose." JJ replied.

"I will lose you!" Brielle yelled getting teary. "Don't you get that?! I will lose you!"

JJ just looked at her. Didn't even say a word, and turned his heel and walked away leaving her as she let a tear fall down her face. She watched him walk the whole way until he was no longer in her sight, and she wiped away her tears and walked away.

Time Skip

Brielle didn't know how hard she was banging on the door, and to be honest, she didn't care. She just kept banging until someone opened it. "Elle?" Henry asked confused.

"Hey." Brielle said and forced a smile. "Sorry I came unexpectedly, but I wanted to see you."

"That's great, I wanted to see you too." Henry chuckled and let her in. "I wanted to apologize for the way I acted at Midsummers."

"Oh, it's fine." Brielle assured. "No hard feelings."

"Great. So, uh, what do you wanna do?" Henry asked.

"If I was being honest, I would say go clubbing, but..." Brielle replied.

"But what? I know a good club in town." Henry said.

"But I only like to go to clubs with my group." Brielle replied. "So, maybe the beach?"

"Sure." Henry replied. "You know how to surf?"

"How could I not?" Brielle chuckled.

---

Short chapter I know 😭