Part 24 - Tannyhill Plantation

Al five Pogues were at Rixons Cove sat on logs in front of a fireplace. "Hey, guys. So, like, my dads already gonna kill me." Pope said. "So what's this mandatory meeting about?"

"Might as well tell him, man, before we're gaffed." JJ said looking at John B.

"You ready for this?" John B asked.

"Yeah."
"Uh, yes."
"Spill it out."

"So, the gold never went down with the Royal Merchant." John B replied.

"Oh, my God. Here we go again with this." Pope groaned.

"No, alright? Wait. Hear him out, alright?" JJ replied.

"It's been here the whole time." John B continued.

"Wait, what?" Brielle asked.

"Yep. It's on the island." John B replied.

"Are you serious?" Kiara asked, then laughed. "Oh, my God."

"I'd like to voice my skepticism." Pope said.

"I'm sure you would, Pope." John B said getting up. "But can I please present you with my evidence, sir?"

"Proceed." Pope replied, and John B went into his bag pulling out the letter.

"All right. So, in my backpack..." John B said getting the letter. "I have a letter from Denmark Tanny."

"Who the hell is that?" Kiara asked.

"Denmark Tanny was a slave that survived the Royal Merchant wreck." Brielle replied.

"Exactly, Brie. Check this out." John B said unfolding the letter, handing it to Kiara. "Okay, slaves weren't mentioned as crew members in the ship, but my dad, he found a complete manifest. That was his big discovery. So Tanny used the gold from the Merchant to buy his freedom."

"Here." Kiara said giving it to JJ, who grabbed it with one hand, and the other slightly on Brielle's thigh, he handed it to Pope.

"After that," John B continued, "he bought his farm. Drumroll please, because that farm is...Tannyhill Plantation."

"Tannyhill?" Kiara asked.

"Yeah. So, after that, he used his money to free even more slaves, and then he sold a shit-ton of rice, which pisses off all the white planters, and then....Brielle finish for me please." John B said pointing to Brielle.

"They decided to lynch him." Brielle replied, then leaned forward. "So on the day they were coming to get him, he writes a letter to his son as a farewell, and in the last line of the letter, he leaves a coded message about where to find the gold."

"Exactly." John B replied.

"Where?" Kiara asked excited.

"Harvest the wheat in parcel nine, near the water." John B replied. "Except....theres no wheat. You see, wheat is code for gold. Check this out." He said walking over to Pope who was holding the letter. "The gold is in parcel nine, near the water."

JJ kissed Brielle on the cheek, then got up as Kiara laughed and got up walking to John B. "All we need is an original survey map of the property, and we've found the gold!" John B exclaimed, then JJ picked him up hugging him tightly. "Whoa! Hello! Fire! You're gonna burn!"

"Okay, so this has a small chance of being actually true." Pope said looking at the letter.

"I'm so proud of you two right now." JJ said looking at John B and Brielle.

"Why, thank you, JJ." Brielle replied.
"Thanks, man." John B replied.

"Okay, so, guys." Pope said. "What's the plan?"