Part 6 - Scuba Gear

John B shot his eyes awake and slowly looked around and realized he was back at his house, then Sheriff Peterkin walked in.

"Get yourself decent, sweetie. We need to talk."

A few minutes later passed and John B walked out into his living room where Peterkin was waiting. "Sorry to break in like this, but DCS called. They wanted me to check on you, see how you doing. So, how are you? Besides the eye."

"Oh, no. I'm-I'm great. Yeah fantastic. Uh..thanks for coming by." John B said.

"I'm so glad to hear you say that, John B, but I heard a few things that worried me. Let me see if I can remember. Oh yeah, one of the things I heard what's that your Uncle Teddy, your guardian, hasn't been in the state for three months."

"That's false."

"You don't have to say anything. I know it's true, I called the school. They said you used to be a good student, and now you're failing all your classes."

"No, no, no. I'm only failing one, and it's history. He's a dick. He's out for me-"

"I heard there was a fight on the beach yesterday." Peterkin interrupted. "And a gun was involved."

"Okay. Gun?" John B asked. "No. Did I get in a dustup? Yes. But was there a gun? No. No way."

"That's okay, I know who it was. I'll get to him." Peterkin said. "All I'm worried about right now is making sure you're in a safe home."

"Pfft. Yeah. Super safe." John B said. "Super sound, sturdy, you know? And Uncle T's coming back so-"

"That's what he told you?" Peterkin asked.

"Yeah."

"Well if he is coming, I think you should be aloud to stay."

"Thank you."

"But if I stick my neck out for you, you have to help me. Tit for tat."

"Wha-what does tat mean?"

"Let me see, how can you help me? Oh, I know. So, a body was found in the marsh yesterday. Were you in the marsh yesterday?"

"Yeah, we were fishing for some drum."

"You catch anything?"

"Nah, we were skunked."

"Strange, fishings usually good after a storm. All sorts of things get stirred up. You come across a wreck yesterday?"

"Um...nope."

Peterkin sighed and looked at him. "You're skimmin just above the surface, John B. Now down here, is foster care, juvie. Pretty big drop for a smart kid like you. Now up here, is you and your little friends doing whatever you want. Outer Banks....or foster care in the mainland. You one inch above the surface, John B. If I was you, I'd start flappin my wings. Now you're sure you didn't com across a wreck yesterday?"

"Yeah. Yeah, I'm sure." John B replied.

"Now I'm gonna look the other way, as long as you stay out of the marsh." Peterkin said, then left.

Brielle

Brielle woke up hearing a groan come from next to her as Henry woke up and stretched. He sat up shirtless and looked over at Brielle. "Good morning." He whispered in her ear and then kissed her cheek.

"Mhm." She mumbled, then turned around and faced him. "Where's my clothes?"

"I think they're across the room where I ripped them off of you last night." Henry replied, making Brielle chuckle softly. She sat up and looked across his large room, and saw her clothes by his dresser and his clothes spread out along the floor.