Part 23 - Midsummers

"First, I almost get strangled to death by Kooks, and now I'm on the hook for 30 grand." JJ said. Brielle, John B, and him were sitting on a old stone wall that had been broken down over the years. "We should just dip."

"Okay, and where do you wanna go? Hm?" John B asked.

"Italy would be nice." Brielle replied.

"Yucatan." JJ said.

"Yucatan." John B chuckled in disbelief.

"No, I'm dead serious right now." JJ said. "Surf all day, then we can just live off lobsters we catch with our bare hands."

"That sounds nice, too." Brielle said.

"You just wanna leave 'cause you got your ass beat?" John B asked.

"You didn't see the photos." JJ replied. When he was taken to the sheriffs station, apparently Peterkin interrogated him and showed him crime scene photos of people, dead. Eaten by sharks or something like that.

"Think about it! They're willing to kill for the gold, then it's gotta be out there!" John B exclaimed jumping off the wall onto his feet.

"Have you lost your mind!?" JJ asked.

"Oh shit." Brielle mumbled sitting back watching the two boys yell.

"One hundred years, man!" JJ continued. "One hundred years, people have been trying to find this Royal Merchant, and no one succeeded. And you think you are gonna be the one that actually finds it? When will you get in through your thick skull?! If you keep goin down this road, you're gonna end up just like your dad!"

"I can't give up JJ!" John B yelled pushing him.

"Alright, calm down." Brielle said getting up.

"No, Brie!" John B said. "Last time I saw that dude, we got in an argument. And then he took all of our rent money and dipped for this Royal Merchant. And then I told him he was a shit father, and you two know how the rest of the story goes."

"Bro, that wasn't your fault." JJ said in a lower tone.

"It doesn't matter whose fault it is, JJ!" John B exclaimed. "Do you not understand that? I cant give up on the hunt, man. I don't care who's out there, who's gonna try to kill us. Do you understand that? You know that." Then John B turned around and grabbed his bag, and walked off. "Look." He said turning around. "I've got a plan. You two comin or not?"

"J, come on." Brielle said slightly nudging him and grabbing her bag, following her friend.

"It's five hundred million, JJ." John B said. "How much do you owe in restitution?"

"Hey, I've gotta get to Kies, she's got a dress picked out for me, for midsummers. She's making me go with her and her parents." Brielle said.

"That's perfect! I need you to do something for me." John B said.

"Oh yeah? What?" Brielle asked.

"Distract Henry Corsaro while I find out what his family's business is." John B replied.

"Huh?" Brielle asked confused.

"Apparently they've got something to do with this shit." John B replied. "Promise me you'll do it, Brie."

"Hell yeah I'll do it." Brielle said, earning a tight hug from John B.

"This is why you're my favorite. Okay, go!" John B said.

Time Skip

"Kie?" Brielle said opening the front door. "I'm here!"

"Upstairs!" Kiara said, then Brielle went upstairs into her room where she was sitting on her bed, staring at her dress hanging up on the wall.