Little Red Riding Hood

"Marian, you look beautiful! Oh, Robin would forget his vows once he sets his eyes on you," Mama praised Marian, who blushed like the beautiful bride she was.

"Robin will definitely be taken aback by you, Marian. He'll be tongue tied," I agreed.

"Oh, thank you, Red. I really appreciate you sewing me my dress," Marian held my hands and rubbed them against her cheeks.

"Of course. I'm so happy you love the dress." I'd spent months on it, learning how to sew from Mama who lectured a woman should know how to sew, even though she never taught me. My hands were covered in bandages from poking myself with the needle. But the final product looked beautiful on Marian. All my hard work was not in vain. 

Marian did a twirl and smiled brightly in the mirror. 

"Will you really wear that hood on you own brother's wedding day?" one of Marian's friends snickered.

"I sewed myself a white one, so you won't have to worry about me ruining the colour scheme," I said back.

"Come on, don't fight today," Marian smiled. For her, I won't. "Red even brought us such beautiful flowers. Shall we get along, for today at least."

Three years had passed since I last saw Aloysius. I was too embarrassed and in shame to return. I bet he's happier without me bothering him every night. There were many times I wanted to go over the gate, so many times I wanted to beg for Aloysius to forgive me. To see if Cedric was okay. But I was a coward. Still weak. Too scared to meet his eyes again.

Three years have passed, and Marian was finally getting married to Robin. The village was not in its best state, but the bakery had been doing well, ever since Marian made bread with fruits in them, first pumpkin, then cranberries and the list went on. The rat infestation had grown, but the villagers were hopeful it would pass one day.

I hadn't been visited by any blackbirds. My threat must have been heard. Hansel and Gretel were still safe too. Everything was well. Too well. I should have known...

~~~~~

Marian walked down the aisle, behind the flower girls. I was the ring bearer, giving them the rings to slide on each others' fingers.

"M- Ma- M- Marian, you look gorgeous," Robin stuttered at her name. Marian giggled shyly.

The two said their vows, and I gave them their rings. They kissed each other lovingly, and the party began. The bakery provided a buffet of pastries for the day and I offered to cater everyone.

"Wow, the food looks delicious," Peter said, as he looked at all the pastries. "Any recommendations?"

Peter had grown taller than me, but he was still short for his age. We stayed friends and he was even writing letters to a girl named Wendy from a neighbouring village. He would visit to ask for help on writing the letters.

"Seasonal pie is always the go to for an autumn day," I gave him a pumpkin pie. "You did well as the Best man."

"I was far too nervous. I thought I was shaking on stage." Just a little, but I wouldn't say that.

"How are things with Wendy? Has she sent you a new love letter?" I teased. Peter went sad and gloomy. "She has not. I've been waiting for a response, but none came."

"Ah, she is probably busy. I'm sure she's thinking of you right now!" I said to cheer him up.

"I hope. I told her I would be the best man for Robin in my last letter. I've been checking the letter box every day to find her letter."

"There, there, have some pie."

"Red, Red! We want bread! Yummy yummy bread!" Hansel and Gretel came with eager hands. Around this time of year, they'd always ask for bread. I gave them from the latest batch so it would still be hot and fresh. The two ran away with bread in each of their hands, but they didn't seem to want to eat it. I wonder what they're up to. I should keep an eye out.