Little Red Riding Hood

"Where have you been! Do you know how worried I was? I sent all the hunters to find you!" Robin grabbed my hands by my side and lifted me in the air, shaking me. I felt dizzy as my head shook back and forth. "Don't leave like that again! Don't ever sneak off into the night." He pulled me into a tight hug with one hand on my head. "I was so worried..." Perhaps it was just my imagination, but he seemed to be pulling my hood lower on my face.

"I'm sorry. I just missed sneaking out with you to train. I feel restless at night now," I lowered my head. But in my heart, I felt joy knowing hay Robin had been worried. I met his eyes from under my hood. He was one of the Blackbirds alongside me. And he somehow dyed his hair. I don't know if I can see him the same way again. 

"Where did you run off to? You were gone till late afternoon," Marian asked behind Robin.

~~~~~

After I asked Aloysius Hunter to take me back to the village, he suggested I eat some food before we left. His clan cooked deer meet with rice and vegetables. It was a unique experience, but enjoyable. Everyone in the clan seemed close to one another. Everyone was talking and laughing, the atmosphere was so warm. But I didn't feel like I fit in. It didn't help that some of them were eyeing me suspiciously.

After I had a hearty meal, Aloysius shifted into a wolf, a large black one that stood about as tall as me with shining gold eyes. It wasn't as if it was my first time seeing him as a wolf. It was actually a more familiar sight to me. But watching how he shifted amazed me. His whole body had changed to fit one of a wolf.

I thought he would walk beside me, but he permitted me to ride on his back. "It's safer and quicker. Just hold on tight to me." He lay on the floor so I could mount him with ease. Once he was sure I was ready, he ran quickly into the thick trees. It was quite fun riding him. I imagine it'd be like riding a horse at full speed. I could feel the wind in my hair and my hood fell off. I unconsciously reached to cover my hair, but I remembered I was in the Blackbird forest. It wasn't as if Aloysius would mind my hair being free, so I let my braids trail behind me in the wind.

When I reached the gate, Aloysius Hunter shifted back into a human. Between a wolf and as a human, I was starting to see the resemblance. He had the cold eyes of a hunter and the stance of a predator about to attack its prey. But... I din't feel so scared of him.

"Thank you for guiding me back. You should go soon before anyone spots you."

He noddd his head and reached his hand out. I was unsure of what he would do to me and flinched slightly when his hand touched my hair. He pulled the hood over my head and adjusted it so it would cover past my eyes. "I doubt you want the other Redheads to know that you're a Blackbird."

"A blackbird... are you sure though?" I asked. "You say I was a part of the wolf clan, but I can't change into an animal."

"A Blackbird is more than just a shape shifter," he stared past the gates. "Go back to your village. They'll be worried for you."

I felt relieved that I could go back home, but a part of me felt lonely. Within the forest, I didn't have to worry about my hair. It was peaceful, after the whole running away from being kidnapped ordeal. "May I return if I wish to?" I mumbled softly.

"Of course. But you need not feel obliged to. Robin brought you into the Redhead Village for a good reason. Sometimes the place you think you belong in is too dangerous."

He seemed pretty tense and serious. I tried to break the atmosphere with a smile, "How funny. I think everywhere is a little dangerous for me, don't you agree?"

~~~~~

"I got lost in alleyways. You don't have to worry about me. I have to help Mama bake some bread now," I pushed past the couple. They were still lecturing me. I drowned out their voices by focusing solely on the dough.