04: mirabelle

When I took this internship, I thought it would be sitting in on press conferences, reviewing articles and interviewing coaches and players. I didn't think I'd be part of the duo shadowing Henry to help the public get to know him.

I was told a couple of minutes prior to the meeting what my actual job was going to be and to say it blindsided me would be an understatement. I even called my dad and asked if he called in a favor so I wasn't doing grunt work like the rest of the interns. He assured me that no one in the family pulled strings for me, but it did very little to make me feel better about it.

I know I'm not like the other interns, but that doesn't mean I want to stacks more bricks on top of the wall separating us.

Hence why I'm struggling to get out of my Audi while balancing two cup carriers of coffee after I volunteered to go on the coffee run today.

I make it all of two steps before one of the coffees tilts, spilling all over my cream colored blouse. "Are you fucking kidding me?" I groan loudly, knowing that the silk is ruined. This is one of my favorite shirts too.

I adjust my grip on the coffee cups, eyeing them in disdain. At least the one that spilled on me was iced. I turn to move towards the trunk of my car where I have an extra shirt to change into. Fuck, I can't believe this.

Except when I turn, I crash into someone I hadn't even heard come up behind me. This time it's not iced coffee, but a scalding hot latte that dumps on me. "Mother fucker," I yelp, dropping the rest of the coffees to the ground as I try to get the steamed liquid off of me.

"Shit, I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to scare you," A deep voice says and I stare at the mess on the concrete. My blouse is now drenched and sticking to me.

"It's fine," I say, trying to keep my annoyance out of my voice. I look up at the person who turned a bad situation into a worse one. I'm taken aback for a moment because it's a guy from the team. Quinn Mackie, a first round pick from two years ago, a tight end I remember hearing my dad rave about. He's also one of Henry's friends so there's that.

"Mirabelle right?" He asks and I want to roll my eyes because it's clear he knows who I am. Why else would he have been right behind me?

"Yep, sorry but I'm late now and I have no coffee so my boss and coworkers are going to be pissed." I say, bending down to grab the now empty cups of coffee on the ground so I can throw them away. God, I couldn't even handle a simple coffee run. Not that juggling eight coffees is simple, but still.

"That's fine, I can walk with you." Quinn says nonchalantly, following after me.

Well okay then. Normally I'm ecstatic for any new connection to Henry that I can find, but I really really don't have time for this today. I don't say anything because I'm not quite sure why he's pretending he doesn't know who I am. Not be conceited or anything for once, but really?

"How are you liking the stadium so far?" He asks, shoving his hands into the pockets of his jeans.

I cast him a sideways glance as I walk quickly in my four inch heels. "Considering I've been coming here since I was a newborn, I'd say it feels like home."

"What a coincidence, it feels like home for me too. Can't say I've been coming here that long."

What does Quinn want? "Makes sense considering you're from Colorado unless you flew out here all the time to attend games."

He smiles widely as I swipe my badge at the door, "So you know who I am?"

"You're one of Henry's friends and you played with my dad. It's also kind of my job to know who you all are." I say, turning a quick corner towards where the press offices are.