04. The Quest To The Infamous Underground in Search of Future Heichou

Start from the beginning

Each time she comes back alive from an expedition, new experience and corrections were made to make herself more prepared at work. This fight is now different as she tested Levi on different moves she learned as well. The man clicked his tongue feeling that he couldn't match her right now.

"You're not bad, dear." Y/n hummed making Levi realized that he has been fighting against a female soldier.

Before the raven could speak, the girl had sprung away and was subbed with a much taller and larger man that pushed him back.

Y/n decided to sit on top of the highest building to watch them. This was really happening! Y/n was so happy that she managed to survive until this significant timeline or probably Levi's main event and character development.

The chase after him continued until Levi and Mike were already sparing on the ground.

But just as they really went neck and neck for real, Erwin intervened the fight showing Levi's loss. Both Isabelle and Farlan are captured.

Having no choice at the matter, the ravonette had raised his hands up in defeat, slowly letting slide his knife that was in his hand.

They let the trio kneel in front of them as they revealed themselves. The introduction was swift as well as the commander told them about his thoughts of letting them live if they joined the scouts.

Now that Y/n think about it, if what these guys only wanted a residency up the surface, then isn't Erwin's offer better than that fat noble's. Although, they'll be soldiers for the rest of their lives, it's still a reasonable pardon since they committed crime down here.

"What do you think, Y/n?" Erwin suddenly asked. His eyes darted on the roof where the female sat.

Y/n escaped her trance when she realized she was being asked. Her head looked down at the group.

Everyone turned to look at the hidden ace of the scouts as she jumped down the roof, letting herself land with the help of her gear. Hood still covered her entirety as the cape swayed with what look like a mysterious vibe.

"Pretty good." She told him with a shrug. "They only lack experience in the real deal."

"I see. Then do they pass your standards?"

Y/n sighed. Why is Erwin asking her unnecessary questions. It's his decision to make, not hers.

"Does my opinion matter?" She asked.

"Absolutely. If you think they aren't to the scout's qualifications, then we would hand them over to the MPs immediately." He explained.

Y/n was not happy. Just when did the commander relied on the opinion of an eighteen year old subordinate? And this is not in the anime at all!

"He put up with Mike. Their movements with the maneuver gears are decent as a normal scout." She nodded to her explanation. "And they're stronger than the MPs. It only means that they are useful."

This is embarrassing! Future Heichou is glaring at me!!!

Y/n, of course, was scared shitless. But her facial muscle wasn't portraying any emotion so that's one thing she was thankful for. Maybe that was a god given talent so that she wouldn't get caught in the act.

Her stoic expression always made her appear quite decent.

I'm going to have to scold the commander about this! He shouldn't make decisions about someone else's life and ask me about it! It's like he's making me responsible.

Y/n complained in her head while staring into space. She's always been out of it whenever her inner thoughts comes and now, she looked like an airhead.

"...Y/n." Erwin called again.

Said female turned to the commander. "Yes sir." The girl replied although she didn't really know what he said.

"Good. From now on, your group is under the supervision of my second in command, Y/n Callenreese."

Y/n blinked twice when he announce that.

Erwin looked at her with that innocent facade of his.

"I did not agree." She said making the group looked at her confused. Then her head went to debug the sentence, word per word. "...I am... your second in command?"

"Y/n. You've been my second in command for the passed two years. And you just said yes earlier when I asked you to take care of them." Erwin had this look of amusement. And Y/n felt a deja vu hit her at the back of her head by a rock.

Is that why my pay increased?!

...

It was a good day at least. Y/n was just finishing her daily training in the fields.

Her sweat was dripping like someone spilt a pale of liquor at her head. This image enough was what made her look like the ideal hardworking female soldier.

Feeling that today was her limit, Y/n sat on the grass staring up at the sky with no particular thoughts in mind.

Her eyes just reflected the blue sky mixing with hers while enjoying the cool breeze of the wind. The fresh air mixed with slight dust hitting her nose as she inhaled.

On her peripherals, she saw a blonde approaching.

Erwin Smith, the commander of the scouts stopped beside her and spoke. Meanwhile, Y/n, being Y/n who was plotting her goal at the moment did not hear him.

"...Y/n." As soon as Erwin said her name, Y/n turned.

"Yes sir." It was her, actually inquiring why he called him.

But to him, she agreed. He let out a smile and nodded. "Alright. For your first job, go to the main headquarters and deliver my paper works." He said.

Y/n, who thought it was nothing but an order, did so as he was told.

...

And she is today's years old when she realized that she was the second in command.

"Oh..." the girl shrugged but deep deep down, she was mentally hyperventilating. "Okay." And walked off first, trying her best to stay sane as the revelation made her want to stagger and faint.

Wtf! Wtf! Wtf!

Her innermost thoughts cried.

Why did I not listen? Why am I not listening?!

The girl, who thought that this scene was nothing but the start of tragedy for Levi, became a tragedy to her as well.