20. Comfort

"Don't forget to bring your assignments tomorrow students" Mrs.Smith announced as the bell rung.

I slung my bag on my shoulder and exited the classroom.

So far, no one has asked me about Lucas and I. That's a relief. But I'll have to talk to Brian and Mia about it soon. Should I tell them the truth? I don't kno-

"So...The ugly nerd has got Lucas Prince smitten for her. Tell me how did you do it? Did you seduce him?" Harley and her cronies stood in front of the entrance, blocking my way out.

"Seduce him? This nerd? She might've begged him. Out of sympathy, Lucas might've agreed. There's no way Lucas will like someone like her" one of her cronies cackled.

"Did Lucas agree out of sympathy? Huh, nerd?" Harley took a step forward.

I know I couldn't win in this situation. There's way too many of her cronies. If I talk back to them, they might beat the hell out of me.

How do I escape? The front is blocked by Harley and her cronies. I can probably find an open window in one of the classes and jump out. Should I run back now-

"Why are you not replying to me? Didn't your daddy tell you its rude to not reply to others' questions? Oops.... Sorry. Forgot your daddy wasn't there to tell you" Harley pouted.

I didn't hesitate to slap right on her cheek. I didn't care about the stinging sensation in my hand or the shook expressions on their faces.

"Don't you dare say something like that again" I spat.

"How dare you slap me?!" Harley began rising her arm to slap me, when a hand caught her arm.

Lucas

"Don't" Lucas seethed, tightening the grip on Harley's hand.

I didn't hear the rest of their conversation as I was already heading out the main entrance. Thank god, most of the students have already left, or I would've been the talk of the day.

I was running fast, wanting to reach home quick and cry the whole night. Hot tears were streaming down my face,making it hard to see. I didn't bother wiping them away. But I was stopped in my tracks when a hand clamped around my wrist, turning me around.

"Are you okay?" Lucas asked, worry etched in his voice.

I sobbed while covering my face with my hands. Lucas pulled me into a tight hug and started patting me.

"No.... I'm not" I sobbed harder.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Lucas asked softly as if im a fragile thing and he was afraid he might shatter me.

I shook my head in reply.

I'm not ready to talk about my past. Considering it means accepting it. I don't want to. Not yet.

Lucas hugged me tighter, while patting my head. We stayed like that for sometime.

"Thank you" I pulled away from the hug, sniffing.

Lucas pulled a handkerchief from his pocket and gave it to me.

"Come on, I'll walk you home" Lucas insisted.

"Its fine. I can go by myself" I quickly replied.

I started walking home, feeling lightheaded.

No one has comforted me in my hard times with silence before...But he did.

_______________________________________