Chapter 104 - Curses

In a District Unit in Albam, Dijana Belinda continues to devote herself to the study of spiritual matters. She decided to use her license to improve herself, as drowning in heartache wasn't something Nayla would approve. In between her readings, she talks to a young man named Calisto Gama, who she recognizes as the Paladin who failed the exam for Prima-Ordinis Major on the same day that Johan was submitted to his skill's assessment.

_ Mrs. Belinda, do you need something? _ He asks, kindly; Dijana denies _ Well, as two ACU Paladins, I wish I could help you some more...

Dijana smiles, masking her own grief manifested in deep circles under her eyes, and replies: "You already helped a lot, Calisto. I couldn't have found all those books without you". The boy smiles in return. In a lower voice, he says:

_ If, by chance, something strange happens, you can talk to us. I know the timing is bad right now, but know that...

Dijana touches the boy's hand. He understands the request to leave her alone. Empathy is also knowing when words are unnecessary. He then says goodbye and leaves the small library. The woman sees the lights of the torches in the corridor, gradually vanishing.

At the same moment, she approaches the window. The moonless night is profoundly dark, but the stars are much brighter. She opens it and lets the strong wind burst into the room. From the 4th floor where she is, she has a privileged view of the entire region. She whistles into the night, mimicking a nightingale.

Quickly, the sound of something colliding with the roof tiles mixes with the howl of the wind. A hooded figure hangs from the ceiling and appears at the window, upside down. Dijana takes a step back, letting him in with a somersault...

She can't contain her joy and wraps him in a tight hug.

It feels like it's been months since someone cared for him... as a person. Johan sighs behind his mask, taken by immense comfort, and returns Dijana's embrace, lifting her off her feet. She notices that he is shaking and her hands brush against the handle of the axe hidden under his cloak.

The conversation that ensues is entirely in sign language. Dijana loves to see that Johan's garbled words are now fluid. However, first of all, the Paladin reaches for a big box of chocolates. She says: "I know you only like sweets and seafood, so I brought this. I know it isn't easy to survive...". Johan accepts the offer, feeling his insides churn with hunger. They sit on the floor face to face.

He lifts the mask just enough to expose his lips. Dijana can't help but notice his scary teeth, dark skin, and fleshy gums. It's bizarre and sad how that handsome young man, worthy of a Pixies fairy prince, is now there, in front of her, having to cover his face. In her mind, she imagines the cruelty of the "Thief of Faces" being caused by Eloah Fortescue. "She took your face and your freedom", she thinks.

When the box is less than half its original contents, Dijana explains, "I spoke to the little girl called Keisha. She's a sweetie, but she's pretty rude sometimes! She told me that she'll be heading back to Sarauniya soon, but that you already know her new address". Johan confirms, showing the compass watch that he still doesn't understand exactly how works. Dijana explains: "This device is like a timer for a date. It doesn't mark what time it is, but how many hours are left until your next meeting. The compass arrows show the direction you need to go and the middle light will glow brighter the closer you get".

_ Aaah... _ Johan replies, finally understanding his gift.

Dijana laughs, covering her face. "Some things never change!", she thinks.

Afterwards, she continues: "I have agreed with Keisha that I'll help you guys "behind the curtains". I think I can be more helpful if I stay close to the Ecclesia to get information and maybe more help. All I want now is to destroy these Witches and find a way to keep more people from dying", she says, slamming her clenched fists against her thighs.