01: mirabelle

"Bailey! You cut me off!" I yell at my fifteen-year-old little brother as I walk towards the beach, carrying my surfboard under my arm.

He flips his shoulder length blonde hair back, shooting a grin at me. "You should have been faster. So much for being an Olympic medalist."

"Gymnastics! Not surfing!" I throw my middle finger in the air at him as I feel the shells dig into the bottom of my feet, "Imbécile." I mumble under my breath. Idiot.

My dad is throwing passes for JJ as he practices his routes while getting ready for his senior year season. "Dad, did you see what Bailey did?" I complain, catching his attention after he throws a spiral for JJ.

He laughs deeply, "I'm not getting in between the two of you. Figure it out."

"He stole my wave!" I say, despite the fact he just said to figure it out ourselves.

"Mira, I can't do anything about it."

I set my surfboard in the sand, "Well you could ground him." Okay, I might be taking this a bit far, but come on. That's the second time today he pulled that shit.

"Stop whining Mira, Dad's not going to ground me because you're butt hurt." Bailey says, slipping his arms out of his surf suit and pulling it down to his waist.

"Stop cutting me off if you're going to tag along with me."

He rolls his eyes, "How am I tagging along when it's our beach?"

Hunter comes strolling down the stairs from the house, "What are you guys fighting about now?" He asks, with a water bottle in each hand. "Mom said to bring you guys water." He tosses me one and Dad the other.

"How do you know we're fighting?" I ask and Dad snorts, unscrewing the lid of his water.

"That's like asking if the sky is blue," Hunter says sarcastically. He and Bailey are identical twins but the only difference between them is that Hunter's blonde hair is cut short like JJ's and Bailey's is nearly brushing his shoulders. The twins are the same height, same build, and they've got the same piercing green eyes. They both look exactly like Mom whereas I just got her blonde hair and JJ got her green eyes.

Bailey and I have sort of a love hate relationship, but he's my little brother and I love him. I just happen to have two other brothers that I get along with a little better on a daily basis. JJ is the level headed mature one of us, Hunter can get snarky but is certainly calmer than Bailey who has a tendency to lash out.

"Dad."

He smiles at me, running a hand through his salt and pepper hair. "Sorry monkey. Figure it out."

JJ throws the football back to Hunter who catches it easily. Both of them are on the high school team while Bailey is on the soccer team.

Hunter throws the ball for JJ and then turns to face Dad, "Oh. Mom wanted me to tell you that Aunt Penelope and Uncle Chris are on their way over with Henry and Kaitlyn for dinner. She said we all should get cleaned up."

My attention snaps up towards the house at the thought of seeing Henry today. "Thought he was at training camp still." I say, trying to maintain nonchalant. My whole body comes to life.

Henry is one of my favorite people in the entire world.

I've also had a teeny tiny crush on him for as long as I can remember. Small detail though. Not important at all.

Just a tall, dark haired, ruggedly handsome football player with a sleeve of tattoos that somehow manages to get hotter every time I see him.

No big deal.