Asmodeus X Reader VI

• MC: Main Character, which is you, the reader
• (A/N): Author's Note
• Italicized words: your thoughts

☆☆☆☆☆

Morning sunlight engulfed the area, effectively bringing a light feeling into the room. The white curtains fluttered as the spring breeze flew ever so softly through the window, carrying the recognizable fragrance of lilacs. Accompanying the aroma was the scent of a newly-bought book between your hands as you leafed through the pages leisurely.

The story was so engrossing that you failed to notice the presence of another individual in the white room. Subsequently, their cheerful voice was enough to break your concentration.

"Hello MC!"

A smile immediately erupted from your lips upon seeing your frequent visitor. You closed the book, transferring it to the bedside table and greeted warmly. "Hi Asmo! What do you have there?"

The demon raised the bag he was carrying, replying enthusiastically. "This is a gift basket from all of us. There's quite a lot. There were so many things we wanted to give you but that would fill up the entire room. So, we agreed to fit everything we can in this bag."

Rapidly, Asmodeus reached for a chair and began enumerating the contents of the gift basket while taking them out. "This video game console and recommended games are from Levi. This cute plush is from Belphie. He sewed it himself." True enough, there were clumsy stitches on the side; however, the end product was squishy and adorable.

"Satan sent a book again if ever you finished the other one he gave you last time. Lucifer collected a bunch of your favorite tea bags you can drink while you read or before you go to bed. Mammon didn't know what to give you so he bought a mug. How creative." You laughed while examining the object that was obviously purchased from the supermarket.

"Typical Beel filled the entire basket with snacks and candies. For my gift, I wanted to give you something that can help with your complexion. I settled with facial wash and lip balm for a simple skincare routine in the morning and night." After listing out the gifts, the demon put them back into the bag and stored it inside your closet.

"That was indeed a lot." You joked. "Thank you for the cleanser and lip balm. I must look so terrible."

For a brief moment, conflicting emotions shone through the demon's features as he examined your condition. Swiftly, he suppressed the melancholy he was experiencing and beamed. "What are you talking about? You look spectacular as always. But if you're comparing yourself with me, I'm afraid it's a losing fight."

"True. No one can ever compare to your beauty." You agreed wholeheartedly.

"I'm glad you understand."

Truthfully, the Avatar of Lust thought otherwise. Even though your skin appeared colorless and dull, your eye sockets dark and sunken, your lips dry and cracked, and your long and lovely hair was no longer present, your entire body exuded undying radiance even in the face of adversity. In all the thousand years of the demon's existence, meeting and interacting with all sorts of entities from the heavens all the way down to hell, there was nothing more beautiful than you. A beauty he hoped to keep for himself.

"Hey there, MC." A nurse interrupted, holding a kit. "Time for your shots."

Without another word, Asmodeus stepped aside and let the nurse accomplish their job. He eyed the medicine warily as it was transferred from the syringe into the IV. It all seemed painful. Once, the demon inquired if the process was uncomfortable. Your tone was carefree as you answered that you were used to the sensation.

Asmodeus knew that even if you were complain, it could not be helped. The tumor was way too large and was discovered too late. Operation, the final resort, could not be performed. Therefore, the doctors advised to take medicine, in hopes to delay the growth of the cancer cell and postpone the inevitable end.

"Look at your face." You teased once the nurse left the premises. "That's why I told you to step out if you don't want to watch."

Despite exhibiting a comforting smile, Asmodeus' features contorted in agony and dropped helplessly onto the floor. He brought up his knees and hid his face between his fingers. "How can I leave when you can disappear at any moment? I'm afraid that if I close my eyes for one second, you'll be gone and won't come back. You don't have much time left and I don't want to waste any of it."

By then, Asmodeus was sobbing relentlessly while pouring out the thoughts and feelings bottled up inside. "Where are you going? Stay here. Stay here with me. MC, I don't want to be left alone. Please don't leave me. Don't go."

Unknowingly, tears rolled down your cheeks. Despite being in excruciating pain, you forced yourself to stand up and walked slowly, one leg at a time. Cold sweat trickled as countless needles pricked onto your skin. You ignored them all and focused on consoling the demon who was cowering, much like a child.

Once you reached your destination, you collapsed by his side with an exhausted grunt. Quickly, you wrapped your arms around Asmodeus' trembling body and pulled him close. Unlike the demon, you had no choice but to accept that the end was near and there was nothing to avert it. It never crossed your mind about those that would be left behind and how they would go on without you. Nevertheless, no words of comfort were good enough. In the end, the only thing you could say was I'm sorry.