|130| The Wedding

It took Remus a long time to act like himself once again after Lyall Lupin's unexpected visit on his birthday party. He refused to talk to anyone, which Riley understood, since she would've done the same.

Lily and James' wedding was going to be on the thirtieth of May. It was going to be in the Potter Manor, outside in the massive backyard.

Riley sat next to Lily as she dialed a number on the telephone. They were at the Potter Manor, trying to reach out to Petunia.

"Lily — maybe you should let it go," suggested Riley. "She didn't even call you when she got married, did she?"

"No, but I'm not her, and I will call her and invite her to this wedding no matter what she decides to do!" said Lily stubbornly. "Bloody phone!"

"Lils — calm down," said Riley. "I'll dial it for you, all right?" Lily nodded, and Riley dialed the number Lily told her. The phone started ringing, and Lily nervously held it to her ear.

"Hi," she said anxiously. "It's me, Lily — Vernon? Is that you? Can you give the phone to 'Tuney? Thank you—"

"Hi, Tuney," she said. "How have you been? — Great, er — I was gonna tell you that I'm getting married!"

Lily didn't speak for a moment. "And I thought maybe you'd like to come... I was actually planning on asking you to be one of my bridesmaids — Tuney — please, this would mean a lot to me—"

Lily kept protesting for two minutes until the call disconnected. Lily had tears in her eyes, she put the phone back down with a sigh.

"I'm assuming she won't come?" asked Riley shyly. Lily shook her head in disbelief.

"I don't know why she's acting like this... I'm trying to be nice, I even offered her to be a bridesmaid — I'm supposed to be her sister, right? I thought we would always be there for each other..." she cried. "She didn't even listen!"

Riley knew what it was like to have an older sister, but her and Ivy were always inseparable. She only wanted Lily to be happy, she loathed Petunia, especially since the day when she had hung up on her when she called her after the incident.

"I don't get it," said Lily. "Why does she hate magic so much? She's happy, I know she is. Why can't she show it to me?"

"Lily... Y'know Petunia, just — well — it can be strange for her to be around all this magical stuff, she's a muggle. But on the other side, if she doesn't want to come, then don't worry about her. She didn't even bother to call you when she got married..."

"You're right," said Lily briskly. "Right."

She then blinked and looked up with a smile. "So, will you be a bridesmaid, then?"

"Really?" asked Riley surprisedly. "I thought you'd ask Marlene and Mary... Not that I don't want to be — because fuck yes!"

Lily laughed. "Come on, you've been like a sister to me, of course you'll be a bloody bridesmaid at my wedding!"

***

24th of April, 1979

Riley, Lily, James, Sirius, and Peter sat in the lobby of St. Mungo's, waiting for Remus.