|122| Flowers

14th of September, 1978

It was the day of the funeral. Riley had heard it when people were talking around about it in town, but nobody had told her specifically.

She gathered the strength to pick up flowers, then left the house. Most people were attending the funeral as always, whenever somebody died in Pine Road, it was tradition to attend the funeral no matter what.

She walked to the same grassy area where the funeral was going to be held. She realized how she was squeezing the flowers she had gotten, then slowly relaxed her hand.

There were many people, and Riley didn't recognize many of them. She saw the Daltons, the Humphreys, Vicky, some teachers from the school, Valerie, and some kids she recognized from school.

Riley felt her eyes filling up with tears, she tried blinking and making them go away, but she couldn't make the stinging go away. Soon, the teardrops started rolling down her cheeks.

She took a step towards the area, nobody seemed to notice her until Will did. He let go of Walter's hand, telling him to stay where he was. Then, he walked towards Riley.

"Hi," he said softly.

"Hi."

"I'm guessing this isn't the most pleasant moment to see each other again," said Will wryly. Riley was unable to speak, she just nodded.

Will hugged Riley, and she hugged him back. They both cried.

"Maybe we should just sit, y'know, to try to bear this," said Will.

"Yeah, you're right," said Riley weakly. "Er — right — flowers." She held up the yellow flowers she had gotten.

"I think Ethan was collecting them," said Will. "Or you can—"

"I'd rather fall off a broomstick five times," said Riley quickly.

"Uhm — I couldn't help but notice — but — is something wrong between you and Ethan?"

Riley blinked. "Yeah."

"Weren't you friends?"

"We were, but he chose violence."

"Violence?" asked Will concernedly.

Riley walked away and put the flowers up front, where the coffin was placed.

But she was stopped by a hand. The hand pulled her from the shoulder. Riley wasn't able to put the flowers, she clutched them hard so they didn't fall. Then she looked up.

"What are you—" she said but paused as she saw it was Ethan. She pulled herself away from his hand. "What do you think you're doing?!"

"Get out of here!" said Ethan. "I don't want you wandering around here freely as a murderer. Especially since you are the reason my sister is dead!"

Riley took a step back, then gulped.

"I am not the reason Penny is dead, Ethan Humphrey. Leave me alone—"

"I don't want you here." Ethan didn't stutter, he spoke loud and clear. Riley stumbled.

"I was her friend!"

"You are also one of the people who killed her!"

"I didn't kill Penny! Stop it!" said Riley angrily. She couldn't believe it. Ethan still blamed her, blamed them. He blamed the whole wizarding world for the death of Penny.

"You weren't invited, so leave the funeral and never come back!" yelled Ethan.

"I'm not leaving, you can't make me leave! Especially when I tried my best to protect Penny, and she meant a lot to me, she is — was — my best friend!"

"No, you will leave right now."

"Who are you to order me to leave?!"

"I am her twin brother! I get to decide!" said Ethan. "I wouldn't even let Will here if he weren't our cousin, and that's because mum forces me to make him stay..."

"You're still so desperate for power that you want to control a dead person's life... That's pathetic! And no, you don't get to decide anything for anyone!" Riley held the flowers up. "So, take the flowers and leave me alone. Believe me, I never even want to see your face again."

Ethan looked at the flowers with a frown, then at Riley. He then raised his hand, Riley thought he was going to take them and leave her alone, but Ethan instead hit the flowers with the back of his hand, making them fall onto the ground. He then stepped on them, making them crumpled and dirty.

Riley's eyes widened, then took another step back.

"Leave. Now."

Riley took a deep breath, she felt as if she was going to pass out. She stumbled, then swallowed hard.

"I hate you, Ethan Humphrey." She then lifted her head up. "But I am not leaving."

"Quit being stubborn!" said Ethan. "I'm not going to argue with you when it's clearly my right to make you leave—"

"What's happening?" asked a voice. It was Adelaide Humphrey. "What's happening here? You two, answer!"

"She won't leave, mum!" cried Ethan. He looked like a kid snitching on his classmate. "She is the reason she is—"

"Don't you dare say that again!" yelled Riley. "Don't you dare blame me once again!"

"Stop yelling!" said Mrs. Humphrey furiously. And that was when Riley snapped, she couldn't take it anymore. She needed her voice to be heard, not silenced.

"Then tell your son to stop attacking and harassing me, will you?" she said as she cried. She looked at Mrs. Humphrey with eyes almost shooting flames.

"What—"

"Yes, it is true. You didn't listen to your daughter when she tried to tell you a serious issue. You completely ignored it, and now look at what you've become, Mrs. Humphrey. Look at what you've become, Ethan. You attacked someone with a chair, abused, hurt, scarred someone. And I know you don't feel an ounce of regret, but that's what makes you a monster. You're trying to make me leave this funeral instead of mourning and crying in a corner..."

"I didn't think—" mumbled Adelaide.

"You didn't think it was true?" said Riley. "Yeah, I bet you supported your beloved son each second Penny tried speaking to you about this. But let me tell you what, your son hit me with a chair and broke my bones. Do you even know how hard it is for me to still try to forget it after months?"

Adelaide Humphrey didn't speak. She didn't blink, Ethan paced around.

"Leave!" he said suddenly.

"No."

Ethan pushed Riley away, making her almost fall.

Some people seemed to notice, there were three people who came to see what was going on. Riley gulped in fear. Her eyes darted to Ethan in anger. He didn't seem affected by any of the things happening around him.

"Exactly what I'm talking about..." said Riley as her voice trembled. She then left the funeral, wanting to get away from Ethan Humphrey as soon as possible.

———

A/N:

I hate Ethan so much and I literally created the character. I want to open a fucking hate page for him or something. Anyways, thanks for reading.