|129| Lyall Lupin

9th of March, 1979

Riley had a hard time recovering from the memories of her sister. It took her a long time to get the scene out of her mind, but she still had nightmares about it.

She woke up, panting and covered in sweat. It was another nightmare, including many things all at once. The first thing she had dreamed of was, of course, the image of her sister getting killed by Greyback. The second thing was the death eaters going after her, followed by them finding out she was the spy.

She knew only one of those things were true, but she didn't know if the second thing would come true or not. Riley looked at the clock on the wall, it was still four in the morning.

Riley got out of bed, then went downstairs to go to the kitchen.

That was when she heard a crack sound outside.

She put the glass of water she was holding, then took a slow step towards the door. She grabbed her wand from the counter, then pointed it to the door.

Someone started knocking right after. Riley's heart started beating fast, she felt each muscle in her body tense more.

"W—Who are you?" she asked in fear.

"Riley — it's us!" a familiar voice called. It was Lily. "Lily Evans, I've known you since we were eleven, and I am engaged to James Potter, you're all animagi—"

Riley opened the door in confusion. Why would Lily appear in the middle of the night? But she wasn't alone, James was beside him, and Lily was trying to get him to stand up by trying to support him. He was clearly injured, he couldn't stand up.

"Merlin — what the hell happened?!" Riley asked as she took them both in, then closed the door quickly. "What happened to him?"

The two made James lie on the couch. Lily took her wand out, Riley stared at James.

"We overheard the death eaters talk about an attack they were planning in a muggle village tonight while we were at another mission this morning..." explained Lily as she tried to catch her breath. "But — we were outnumbered."

"Wait here—" said Riley hastily and ran upstairs to get the potion she had made. After the day Sirius was cursed, she had decided to make more to keep them in case something happened. Even though she couldn't discover anything else, this one was plenty.

She then ran back downstairs and handed it to Lily. "There you go."

Lily made James drink the potion. She then looked at him nervously as she held his hand. James' eyes were closed, but in a minute or two, his eyelids started moving, his breaths started getting slower.

"Riley — you are a genius," said Lily. "For inventing this... You can save lives with this..."

Riley just gave a weak smile, then sat on the armchair beside the two as she sighed.

"Were you two alone there?" she asked.

"Yes, Moody sent us by ourselves," said Lily. Riley gave her a glass of water. She drank all of it in just a matter of seconds. "And — we did protect the muggles — nobody died."

"That's good," said Riley as she sighed in relief. "I'm so relieved to hear that," she said as she nodded.

"Yeah, though it was hard," said Lily. James seemed to be waking up. "Sorry for waking you up, by the way... It was all I could think of..."

"Oh, no," said Riley reassuringly. "It's all right, don't worry about it. I'm just glad you two are okay."

***