ONE

The light from outside the window flooded into Melany's pale yellow room. She stirred in her white sheets, glaring out into the bright sky. She rolled out of bed, fixing her large black t-shirt that hung down to her mid-thighs. Her brown-blonde highlighted hair was in a messy bun on top of her head. She pulled up a pair of dark wash jeans and slipped on her black converse. She took off the shirt, slipping on a bra, and pairing it with a white tank top. A red and black checkered flannel wrapped around her shoulders. She crossed the creme carpeted floor and into her bathroom. The white dominant-colored room had a huge vanity mirror above the sink and a walk-in, glass shower. She brushed her teeth and combed through her hair, letting it fall over her breasts and down her back.

She walked out into the halls of the Avengers Compound. "Dad?" She called out as she walked into the lab area.

"In here!" Bruce called out. He was sitting at one of the desks, fiddling with some settings on the computer files he was working on. "Good morning." He leaned over, kissing her cheek before returning back to the screen. "How'd you sleep?"

"Pretty good." She walked over to the coffee pot, pouring herself a cup. "How about you?"

"Eh." He admitted.

"What're you working on?" Melany walked over, sitting in the chair next to him.

"Nothing important." He swiped away the screen. "Just fiddling with some stuff." He looked at her.

She furrowed her brows, taking a sip of her black coffee. "Okay?"

"I'm not hiding anything!" He held up his hands in defense.

"Okay!" She laughed. "I didn't say anything!" She defended back.

"Good." He replied, standing up. "Tony said to come down once you were up." He grabbed his phone on the table, slipping it into his pocket.

"Any idea what it's about?" Melany asked, standing up with him.

Bruce shrugged, walking out of the room. Melany followed him out, locking the lab behind her. They both walked down the stairs. "Banners!" They heard Tony shout as he saw them walk down the stairs. "You're up late, Melany." He checked his watch as she checked her phone. He walked over to the rectangle table and waited for them to sit.

"It's 9:30," Melany replied. She and Bruce sat across the table from Tony. "What do you have for us?" She crossed her arms.

Steve walked through the side door. "Good morning, everyone." He smiled at them. Steve shot Melany a wink, who gave him a smile in return.

"This." Tony hit a button on the remote for the TV screen that sat in front of them. "Sergeant James Buchanan Barnes."

"He was found a few days ago in Bucharest, Romania." Steve took the remote. He flipped through the files. "He was kidnapped by Hydra in 1943. He's been named the Winter Soldier, you've probably heard of him." Bruce nodded. "Right now, he's at The Raft." Steve paused, looking at Tony. Tony nodded and urged him to keep going. "We need you two—" he pointed between Bruce and Melany, "to get rid of the programming. He could be a real asset to the team."

Melany had heard about Barnes previously from talking to Steve, but he hadn't told her very much.

"Sure." Bruce paused. "If we can get it to work. That's some deep programming Steve." Bruce sighed, leaning back in his seat. He was growing stressed. "It could take weeks. Months. Maybe even years." He took a breath, trying to calm himself down.

"If you feel like you're gonna turn into a giant green rage monster, I can let Melany handle it." Tony joked, even though he was being more serious than anything.