Episode 21

Nathan POV

Two days later...

"I will pick Nick from school today," I said to Katherina at the breakfast table, but as usual she just nodded her head and didn't even look at me, "When are yo-

"Nick, baby you're getting your t-shirt dirty" Katherina cut me off.

"Sorry, Mumma" Nick pouted, making her smile. It has been a long time since I've seen her smile, but the thing is that her smile is not like before, there is no sparkle in her eyes now, they are blank, just empty.

"Kath-

"Get your bag honey, we are running late," she said to Nick, ignoring me once again. Nick dashed off to get his bag, while she stood up and took the plates from the table to put in the sink. I didn't want to miss this chance but also I didn't want to irritate her with my actions, so I remained seated in my chair.

"Let's go mom," Nick said.

I stood up, lifted him in my arms, and kissed his forehead before handing him over to Katherina. I desperately wanted to kiss her, but she didn't even look at me which was crushing my heart but I couldn't do anything.

I open the door for her when she buckled Nick in the back seat, she opened her side of the door when I put my hand on hers, stopping her from getting in, and finally she looked at me and our eyes met.

"I love you" I whispered to her and leaned forward to kiss her when she turns her head rejecting my kiss which landed on her cheek. She frees her hand and got inside the car, and in an instant, she was out of my sight.

I was sitting alone in my office, thinking about all the ridiculous things I did with Katherina. I consider myself extremely fortunate to have Katherina in my life, who always stands by my side no matter what. I had done so many awful things to her, but she stuck by me despite everything, she has every reason to be mad at me, but it's only my impatience that I can't stand her ignorance.

I looked at the time and realized it was time to pick up Nick from school. When I got in my car, the first thing I did was call my wife. She answered the phone on the second ring.

"Hello Katherina," I murmured over the phone, hearing a humming from the other end, "I'm going to get Nick up from school. I thought I'd remind you since you might forget in the midst of your work," I explained on the phone.

"Fine," she replied and a long beep followed after.

I threw the phone in the passenger seat, annoyed with myself. She is avoiding me entirely, and it is seriously affecting my sanity.

I drove out of the mansion, leaving Nick at home with Rosie, I didn't stay because I was feeling suffocated being at a place where Katherina isn't. I drove for an hour, and everything Katherina had said to me was replaying in my mind, making me loathe myself more and more with each passing second.

The day passed slowly and painfully, and the day ultimately led to night. I drove back to the mansion, hoping Katherina is in a better mood now and might say a word or two to me.

I noticed Katherina's car in the driveway and a heaviness on my chest lift. I checked the time and it was 9 p.m., so I wasn't late for dinner.

As I entered the living room, I noticed Katherina sitting on the floor with Nick, who was showing her something. I walked right up to them and sat down next to Katherina, intending to spend some pleasant time with my family, but as soon as I sat down, Katherina stood up and walked away.

My temper erupted, I couldn't stand it any longer, but I remained silent because of Nick.

I spent some time with Nick before walking to the bedroom to take a cold shower to help me relax, which was becoming extremely difficult.