Episode 15

Katherina POV

I slept so soundly last night with Nick snuggled around me. Sleeping without Nathan was lonely, but having Nick slumber like a koala baby eased my night. I lingered in bed, savoring the fact that I didn't have to run to work or do anything else, while Nick slept peacefully next to me.

After a while, I walked downstairs to join mum and dad on the couch for morning tea.

"You woke up early," Mom whispered to me as I sat next to her on the couch, leaning my head on her shoulder.

"Yeah," I close my eyes and feel at ease in her embrace.

"Let me make coffee for you" mom patted my thigh so she can get up, but I hold her arm and didn't let her go away.

"I'll do it myself"

After some time, dad went to the market, and I stayed with mom, talking about random things when something strikes in my head.

"Mom?"

"Hmm"

"You remember Alessia?"

"Of course, I remember her, she is your best friend," mom said, "Why? What happen?" she asked me, I took a deep breath and pull back to look at her.

"Umm... She called me last week and told me something's that are going on in my head," she listened intently, "Nothing serious though..." I avert my gaze because it was becoming increasingly difficult for me to face her in the eyes while lying to her. "She told me she was experiencing problems with her husband and that he had said some really hurtful things to her in his rage. He apologized, but that particular thing is bugging her, she is trying her best to get them out of her head, but she is unable to do so, and because of this she is even unable to focus on other things. What do you think she should do?" I asked mum.

I didn't get a response for a while which made me look up at mom, she was already looking at me with a frown on her face, "Is everything all right between you and Nathan?" She asked me seriously, which made me nervous.

"Of course, mum... I'm talking about Alessia, not myself." I instantly regretted telling my mother, "Anyway, now that I'm here, I'll give her some solid advice for a happier married life, and I'm also planning to meet her... She's going to be surprised when she sees me." I laughed and changed the topic, "I'm going to make coffee for myself now" I stood up and walked into the kitchen.

Mom and I spent half of the day chatting and cooking together. Nick was having a lot of fun with his grandparents, and what made me extremely happy is that dad was having a fantastic time playing with his grandson. Nick was outside with his grandpa playing football while Mom and I were cooking lunch.

"Mom, let's go shopping after lunch. I want Nick to know about the place where his mother grew up," I told her.

"Can I ask you something?" mom said capturing my full attention, I nodded my head, "What happen between you and Nathan?" she asked without wasting a second, I shook my head but before I could say anything she cut me, "Don't lie to me Katherina, I know something happened because this is impossible that he will allow you to stay here alone for so many days. Tell me, what is it?" Mom just knows everything just by my behavior.

"I swear to god, mom... it's nothing major, he was just angry about something I did and said something in anger, which I don't know why but it's bothering me too much" I breathed out, "Maybe I'm just overthinking"

"What he said, did it hurt you?"

"Yes..." I murmur looking down, "But I guess it was my mistake, I shouldn't have been careless knowing that it will upset him, plus he is already going through so much, it's just he is getting frustrated so easily nowadays..." I said and look at mum, she was looking at me intently, "Mom... let's not talk about it" I stopped talking about Nathan, "I just want to be happy all the time while I'm here" I said didn't want to ruin her mood as well.