Episode 18

Katherina POV

A lot has changed since last night, at least for me. I was haunted all night by all that had unfolded in the past hours; I tried to keep my emotions under control, but I couldn't hold back my tears and cried the entire night.

I heard Nick waking up in the morning, I heard mom entering the room, but I kept my eyes close and pretended to sleep because I didn't have the courage to face anyone and also, I didn't want anyone to see me in this state.

I finally sobbed, allowing my voice to come out after Nick left with mum for breakfast in the morning. I couldn't take the sight of Nathan out of my head from the night before. I was heartbroken and feeling betrayed by him.

I'm not sure how many hours had passed when I heard the door to the room open and close silently. The mattress dipped behind me, as I felt a light touch of little hands on my arm, which crushed my heart.

"Mumma..." a soft whisper of my son shattered a million pieces inside me.

I didn't realize that I was punishing him for nothing. I wipe my tears away and turn around on my back to face him. The blue orbs in which I saw rage for me last night are here in front of me, but with a lot of concern and love for me. It was difficult to keep looking in my son's eyes because they simply reminded me of Nathan's eyes.

"Momma, where were you last night? Even Nonna wasn't telling me why you didn't have dinner with us because you promised me you'd be back at dinner time" he asked innocently, which just hurt my chest more, "Momma, what is this? How did you get hurt?" I heard the concern in his voice as his little fingers scrape over the bandage on my forehead, I grabbed his hand and kissed his palm.

"I know you have a lot of questions for momma, but can you just please give momma a tight hug so she can get better quickly?" I needed to hold him in my arms, and I needed him to forgive me for what I did to him.

Nick lay on my chest, hugging me tightly, I wrapped my arms around him and drew him on me, pouring all my love on him. I kissed his forehead and lightly rubbed his back to soothe him since he was so worried about me.

After a couple of minutes, Nick pulled back and ordered me to sit back. I carefully push my aching body up and leaned against the headboard, when Nick came on my lap once again. He raised his hand and ran his soft finger over the bandage on my forehead.

I kissed him on the cheek and assured him it's nothing and hugged him closely, lightly swaying him to lighten his mood. I didn't want him to get upset so I started tickling him, which made him laugh, and hearing his laugh worked as the finest treatment for my pain.

Nick and I were playing around when the door opened and Mom walked in. As soon as her gaze landed on my face, she came to a halt.

"Hi mom," I said with a smile, mentally preparing myself for all the questions she might throw at me.

"Nick, darling, why don't you go downstairs to watch tv?" Mom said to Nick, who glanced at me first. I nodded for him to leave, and he kissed my cheek, got off my lap, and walked away.

Being with Nick made me so happy on the inside that I was smiling like an idiot even after he left the room, which faded instantly when mum shut the door loudly, breaking my lingering thoughts.

Mom looked at me with concern and disappointment as she came around the bed to my side, I folded my legs so she could sit in front of me.

"Where were you last night?" Her voice was filled with concern and anger, she raised her hand to touch my forehead. "Is it hurting really bad?" she questioned, gazing at my bandage.