Chapter 16

THURSDAY, THE 7TH OF AUGUST:

                               Dearest Lola, good morning. I called up Julie yesterday night, and she was like,

              “What! Dan would never do such a thing!” when I told her about s    school.

            Turns out she had REALLY high temperature, and was bedridden for the past few days. But she said she was much better, and would be attending school today. I’ve got to pack my bag and leave for school with quite a happy heart!

         At school, Julie was present (that was obvious!). She told me when her parents went to work, she rented out the movie ‘Breaking Dawn’ (That, Lola is an adult movie, for people above 18) without her parents knowledge- she had stolen the CD and watched it when they were out at a Chinese restaurant.

          I was so majorly JEALOUS! She is so lucky! And I told her all the things Dan did. She still looked disbelieving, until I told her that she was my science project partner, because Dan had dumped me, and joined Philip.

    Julie was shocked, and said,

             “Did Philip agree?” and I decided to add fuel to the fire.

    I said,

         “He was overjoyed, and said he was glad to not be partnering such a wimp”. Julie’s eyes filled with hurt, and I quickly added,

              “Of course, that’s what he said. Not me. I would love to be your partner!” and Julie just nodded and stared at the English text to hide the expressions on her face.

          I felt pretty bad; until I saw Rosalie marching into the class laughing at something Dan had said (undoubtedly something about me).

       Philip, Mark, and a few other friends of Dan’s tagged along, looking irritated at the presence of Rosalie in their group. Philip whispered something to Mark and Mark grinned, looking at Rosalie.

         Lava Rock entered the class, and Rosalie sat down on the seat next to Dan, which was previously occupied by Philip.

           Philip looked at Mark with an annoyed look on his face, and they both looked rather accusingly at Dan. Rosalie gave Dan a big, wide grin, and Dan looked at her, rather irritated too.

           Since Veronica was absent, Philip sat next to Mark, and they both laughed at pictures of Daniel Vettori (the cutest cricketer in existence…he belongs to the New Zealand team) and shared a few collectible baseball cards underneath the table.

         Lava Rock then informed us that our projects were due next Monday, and that it would account for twenty percent of our examination marks.

        Julie suggested that she could come over to my house after school on Friday, and that we could work on it. I agreed, and we both started talking about how idiotic Philip is. During Language, the teacher gave us back our essays. I got a B+. Julie was really gratified about the fact that I wrote about her as my best friend.

       And lunch break rocked. I loved it. It rocked. Did I mention it rocked? Okay, I’ll tell you why I’m hyperventilating. Philip actually embarrassed the Dan man! I’m not lying, Lola! Here’s what happened:

        During lunch, Rosalie pulled a fed-up Dan to the cheerleaders table, and made him eat lunch with them.

       Philip and Mark and the rest of his friends got REALLY mad, and Philip walked up to Dan. He said “Get up”. Dan looked at him, and said in a superior tone,

                 “WHAT did you say?” and the cheerleaders started giggling.

           Philip went closer to Dan, pulled him up by the scruff of his shirt, and said,

         “Dude! You’re NOT my science partner anymore, get it? Let Rosalie be your sweet, annoying, irritating, giggling little science partner and you two can giggle the time away! And for your information, I’m partnering Mark”.

       Mark looked up, rather surprised, from the chocolate cupcake he had been eating, but when he caught sight of Philip’s menacing glare, he nodded.

        Dan got up to talk to Philip, but Rosalie caught hold of his arm. He swung back and slapped her hard, right on the face. The whole lunch room was quiet. No one even moved.

        Philip and Mark left the room. Dan ran after them. Rosalie’s eyes filled with tears and anger and she ran out of the room crying. As soon as she left, everyone started talking again.

       Julie now hated Philip even more, because he embarrassed Dan, but I think he rocks! He’s the only person other than me (and a good lot of good that did!) who stood up to Dan, and I totally respect him for that. I left for my class when the bell rang, feeling truly at peace with the world.

         And during English class, Dan was called to the principal’s office. Turns out Rosalie and the other cheerleaders had complained to the principal about Dan publicly humiliating students.

         His parents were called, and he looked really unhappy when I entered the principal’s office to deliver a letter to her. I smiled wickedly at him, and left the room- okay, that was mean, and I don’t want to become Dan-ish.

             I don’t know what happened after that, except for the fact that none of his ‘Dude’ friends are talking to him anymore.

         I just ate my lunch of Lasagna, cooked by me. It tasted pretty good, to tell the truth. I’ve got to sleep right now, Lola, so sleep tight!

NOTE TO SELF: BE NICE TO PHILIP (if he ever talks to me, that is!)

RESOLUTION: CONVERT JULIE’S FAITH IN DAN (This is nearly impossible. NEARLY)

OUTFIT:YELLOW TOP WITH SILVER LINING ACCOMPANIED BY A KNEE LENGTH BLUE JEANS SKIRT.

HOMEWORK:NOTHING, EXCEPT FOR THE SCIENCE PROJECT (But really Lola, isn’t that ENOUGH??)