chapter 5:substitutes

"I have an important task for everyone" On the following Monday before the drills Jake gathered the team for an important notice.

"I want y'all to find 11 more players" 

"What?"

"Why? Are you dismissing us?"

"Why do we even need--"

"Quiet! My first and last warning; do not pass comments until I am done speaking" he glared at the ones who were speaking before he continued.

"in a game of soccer you need substitutes and suppose during a game you faint or you get severely injured, they can substitute you but if you don't do you want everyone to lose the game? no right, so as far as I know you all are well trained but before any real match you need back up, you need the substitutes and I know the girls in your classes aren't really interested but get them to be interested in it or else your team is cancelled" he ended with a sarcastic smile 

"but what if no one wants to come here because of you coach?" the only girl who was obliged to call him that name asked.

"well then, say goodbye to your team" once again the sarcasm

Jake gave Jae a long stare before the next person spoke.

"And if we find them? Who will be training them, Jake?" Sera asked breaking the eye contact between the two.

"you will" Semi scoffed at her question.

"Exactly," he said

"WHAT!?!" soon many voices screamed with questions and gasps of disbelief.

"Wait- Why should we!?!"

"NO WAY! I don't think I'll be able to handle it"

"Enough! If you wish to be a part of the main team then you are required to train the new players who will be your substitutes. Running behind a ball for ninety minutes might seem very easy but in reality, it requires a lot of energy to play until the last minute. Try being a good listener for once and do as I say" Jake warned the players while taking a look at all of them.

"let's start the drill"

_______

Begging each student and requesting to be their substitutes, the eleven players were on a quest to search for their ideal substitute. Leaving the twelfth person in question-- 

Byun Jae. She was adamant that she wouldn't go begging someone, why would she? That to begging someone to replace her? why? 

'If someone wants to be my substitute they should come looking for me and not the other way round' she said to Minji and Semi who rolled their eyes at their friend's ego.

Jae was sitting in her class. Classes were dismissed for lunchtime leaving her alone in the classroom sitting on her chair with her legs crossed on the table and sipping juice while scrolling through her phone in her hand. Semi and Minji decided to grab lunch from the cafeteria telling her that they would be back soon. 

"Uhm Byun Jae? Hi, I am Ahn Sora" A girl walked in and stood in front of Jae introducing herself.

"congratulations" Jae replied and went back to scrolling.

"I heard the soccer team is searching for substitutes, so have you found one for yourself already?"

"No"

"Great! Can I be your substitute then?"

"Why do you wanna be my substitute?"

"you seem really cool and I wanna be like you"