chapter 1:coach

'All girls interested in being part of the new female football team are welcome to join the team.  Selections will be conducted. We hope this initiative taken by the university to promote female students shall come out as a success. Any queries then please get in touch with the school office or the coach.'

-principal

Jae exhaled after reading the notice that was pinned on the notice board, "Lovely, it's playtime" Jae said and turned towards her friends. 

"I love university," Semi said excitedly along with Minji who added "I am pretty sure we'll make it to the team"

"After school let's go and ask about this" Jae added and started walking to her class. 

"Wait Jae aren't you a part of the swim team?" Minji caught up with her.

Jae scoffed before replying "It isn't even a swim team. None of our lovely classmates are interested in being a part of the team so swim team for the first year's are cancelled"  

Minji replied with a little 'o' that her lips formed.

"Besides it's all chill, I asked the coach if I could use the pool if I wanted to and she agreed so it's a win-win anyway" Jae continued.

"What time do you go? Because  wouldn't our seniors have practice or something?" Semi asked. 

" Usually I go around 9 pm and since it is dark I keep the lights switched off so that the moonlight comes though the roof of the indoor pool. It is quite relaxing" Jae answered as they  entered their class 

"Sound's great" Semi joined her as the three sat on the last row of the classroom.

_______

"Welcome young athletes from now on you all will be training under me. My name is Jung Hae-in and I am more than happy to be your coach," the coach said and had everyone introduce themselves one by one. 

"hi I am Byun Jae, I have played football since I was in elementary school and I also am a swimmer, hope we make a good team," she said nonchalantly as no one was quite interested in introductions.

"I am Kim Semi and I have played football with Jae since elementary school. Nice to meet you" Semi said and the next person introduced themselves until Minji spoke.

"Hi I am Lee Minji and I have played with Jae and Semi since elementary school I hope we make a great team"

"I am Kwon Sera, I'm the finest, brightest star in this dull sky—prepare to bask in my glory As I'm the MVP here to save your sorry team," The said girl rolled her eyes after introducing herself receiving a judgy look from Jae. 

'Wow chill' Jae thought to herself

"so, since we have 12 players already that are all from the 1st year so I am more than happy for your batch the other girls seem to just wanna cheer and not play but anyway we'll start with your training tomorrow at 5 am, we'll go for a run in the morning so I want all of you in the field by 5 am," the coach said making a few gasps at the time they would have to wake up 

"Wait Coach isn't that too early though," said Heemi making the coach chuckle before answering.

"Do y'all happen to know our city's best male player? Jake Sim?" he asked getting nods from almost everyone in response.

"he wakes up at 4 and runs on the field from 4:15- 4:50 am, that's how he has the stamina to be the best, the team joins him later on but here he is on time and that made our school male team the best here, and I want the female team to be equally best, so I am going to invest a lot of time in y'all be ready quick or else I'll pass you on to jake for coaching and trust me he is ruthless," he said jokingly and dispersed the female team members 

A week went by with a start to their intense training and the players were almost breaking due to the intensity. Though very tired and strained the players never gave up and followed every instruction given by their coach. They were asked to change their diet to healthier foods and started working out in the evenings after studying. Their coach tried to help them overcome the pressure every chance he got.  

"I hate him what do you mean we have to run 15 kilometres around the field every day, I am dead," Minji whined as they walked to class. 

"Didn't you say you were up for it?" Jae asked annoyed by the constant whining. 

"welp I am trying to be strong," minji said and semi replied 

"I know, you'll do great Minji! And you Byun Jae quit being a bitch" Semi shot a glare towards the girl. 

"Whinny babies" Jae murmured to herself as she continued walking.

_______

"I heard you called me ma'am. Have I gotten into trouble regarding something?" The boy asked the principal who rested her head against her chair and then shook. 

"No Jake this isn't regarding you getting into any trouble. I have news to share and I don't know how to break it" she spoke to which Jake questioned.

"What do you mean?"

"Coach Jung he is not here," She said uncertain of her words.

"Can you elaborate?" he asked unsure of what happened to his coach. 

"well his mom has got cancer and she has to go through multiple surgeries and chemotherapy and radiation for it and he has to be there with her," she said and looked down

"So you mean to say is that football is cancelled? we won't play anymore?" Jake frowned while asking.

"oh no no coach Jung said that he is giving you the responsibility of being the coach because you manage studies too well alongside playing soccer if you want we'll even pay you-"

 "There is no need for that ma'am, I am a student it is fine" Jake cut her off. 

"He has asked you to coach the male team and since they are already good players they don't require too much attention but" the principal stopped.

"But?" he repeated after the older woman.

"I want you to be the coach of the female soccer team"

________________________________________________________