✼ ҉ 8 ҉ ✼

Začať od začiatku

Alex sighed and it made Chase think about how little he knew her.

"I never got to apologize to my mom, who was my best friend and the best person I knew. I had never apologized for a stupid argument with her all because I was too stubborn to do so otherwise. Instead, I'd left, not knowing I'd never see my friends and family again. And my brothers? I got annoyed at them all the time. I would take it all back if I could to just hear my brothers' laughs again. I would give anything to have known a change in character would leave me on better terms with the people I loved the most and had never gotten to see again."

"I never knew that."

"Why would you?" She attempted at a shrug. "All of my flaws I try to keep hidden, despite my 'limited edition comic' on my dark side, which I didn't want published and tried destroying, so there weren't many copies. No one really knew about them. Except Kaz."

"A 'limited edition' solely about the bad qualities to you?" Chase repeated in disbelief. It sounded ridiculous to him.

"Trust me, not many people knew. My five star review would be very different if those comics went far."

There was a slight pause. "You miss them a lot, don't you? Your family?"

Alex looked down at her sandwich, "More than you could imagine actually."

"Do you wanna take mine?" The bionic joked. "You can have Bree, Adam and Leo if that'll make you feel better."

Alex laughed, "Nah, keep 'em. You'll learn to be grateful for them. Whether you want to or not."

The sound of the melody escaping her lips made Chase join, laughing along with her.

Chase's butt buzzed, causing Alex to look up from making her peanut butter and jelly, quirking an eyebrow at him. "Did your butt just—"

"A security alert," Chase frowned as he dug his phone out of his back pocket. "There's been a breach. Someone broke into the weapons' room."

Alex matched Chase's expression as he glanced up at her. "You don't think that it's.."

"I sure hope not. But there's only one way to find out." Chase went towards the Hyperlift. "Stay here while I—"

"You're dumber than you look if you think for one second I'm not going with you to scope it out." Alex punched his arm. "You got the wrong alien, dude."

Chase showed the faintest smile. "Fine. Come on."

✼  ҉  ✼  ҉  ✼

Kaz pointed to the thin gap between the bars. "Hey come on, you got about two inches here. Can you fit through this? Come on!"

However, Chase and Alex came running in.

"Why is that alert going off? Why are you in here?" Chase then noticed Kyle in the cages and let out a high pitched scream. "What did you do?!"

Alex's eyes widened, "Cute scream, girl."

Kaz rubbed the back of his neck. "I- I was showing Kyle around, and then all of a sudden, the cage locked, got all electric-y, that thing starts blarin'—don't you people have alarms that are a little less jarring? Perhaps some wind chimes or the gentle chirp of a cricket?!"

Alex's eyebrows knit together. Her growing annoyance for the pair of brothers' lack of responsibility was failing to remain hidden but she was giving her best effort, biting her tongue. "That literally ruins the entire purpose of an alarm but okay."