Kyle shrugged, "Yeah, but to be fair, the bar was pretty low." The kid then spotted the massive cage holding the weapons and the wide control panel so he ran over. "What is this thing?"

"Oh, that is a mainframe."

"What's a mainframe?"

"It's a complicated system of... mains and frames."

"What does it do?"

Kaz blinked. "Uh, tha- sorry, that is top secret."

Kyle seemed almost offended, "But I'm your brother, and I'm great with secrets. Kevin Stuart asked me not to tell anyone about his year-old back zit, and I only told like three people."

Kaz placed a hand on his shoulder. "Sorry, buddy. No can do. We should probably head back upstairs."

"Alright, let's see what Chase is doing." Kyle shrugged.

Kaz suddenly laughed it off a bit anxiously, waving, "What's a few more minutes?"

Kyle pumped his fist, "Yes." He ran back to the mainframe.

"Just try not to—" Kyle hit a few buttons and an alarm instantly went off, "touch anything."

A voice erupted: "Intruder detected."

Kaz was suddenly alert of what could happen next. "Uh, hey Kyle, you should probably get out of there."

He was too late to warn anything. The cage door automatically swung closed and locked the young boy in, signaling so with the sound of a click.

"No!" Kaz exclaimed.

The voice spoke again: "Lockdown complete. Activating electrified perimeter." The cage bars then were electrified and stinging the air with energy.

"Cool!" Kyle said despite the situation.

Kaz reached out his hand, and got lightly zapped. He gulped. "Hey, uh... buddy, quick question: When did you tell mom that you'd be home? 'Cause- 'cause right now it's lookin' like never."

✼  ҉  ✼  ҉  ✼

The pair remained quiet, each doing their own thing. Alex had began busying herself in the kitchen and Chase had sat down at Mr Davenport's desk to accomplish some fine-tuning work on his to-do list. But the bionic couldn't focus.

He tapped his pen against the desk, occasionally peeking over at an unbothered Alex. The quiet air made him uneasy, and for once, he didn't want it. He wanted something else— something different.

"Hey, Alex?"

A hair was tucked behind her ear. "Yeah?"

"How do you stay so calm so often? I mean, why don't you ever let anyone get on your nerves?"

There was a light chuckle. "Kaz gets on my nerves all the time."

"Right, but I always get so annoyed by my siblings and so quickly. You get annoyed but it's not... I don't know, I mean, it's not the same."

She finally met one of his glances over at him and Chase thought in her small smile that he sensed sadness lingering behind it. "Well, I try not to let emotions get the best of me. I used to take everything for granted."

"What do you mean?"

"Everyone I cared about, every moment, everything with them? Everything got taken away from me. I used to have a, uh, looser side to myself, getting mad really fast, talking back a whole lot more— my snarky comments digging deeper than intended."

𝐒𝐩𝐚𝐫𝐤𝐬 𝐅𝐥𝐲, lab rats elite forceजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें