I Can't Breathe

⚠️ Death and Suicide Attempt Warning ⚠️

A.N - Sorry this is a bit of a long one!

Y/N started awake, her heart racing and fear digging its claws in to her, as beads of sweat rolled down her face. It was the third night in a row that the nightmares had disturbed her sleep and Y/N felt like they were bad omens. A distinct reminder that her past was never going to let her be happy for long.

Wanda stirred next to her, reaching out a hand to touch Y/N's arm softly, knowing that she was struggling.

"The nightmares again?"

"Yeah... sorry I woke you up" Y/N sighed as she looked back at Wanda.

"You don't need to apologise baby, it's okay. Do you want to talk about it?" Wanda asked, her words were gentle and soft.

"I don't think... I can... I feel like I can't breathe..." Y/N admitted, she felt defeated by the fact that she couldn't control these memories that kept coming back to haunt her.

"Okay, well why don't you let me see instead?" Wanda said, she had been hesitant to suggest the idea, knowing from past experiences that not everyone liked their mind being entered.

Y/N bit her lip unsure if she could let Wanda in like that, to be completely vulnerable it scared the hell out of Y/N and she wasn't sure how Wanda would look at her afterwards. After she saw the dark and twisted parts of her that she had spent years burying. Maybe Nat had been right and Y/n was still stuck in the dark twisty place no matter how hard she tried to act like she wasn't.

"Are you sure you really want to see?" Y/N asked her voice breaking slightly.

"I want to understand you and I promise that I won't see anything that you don't want me to, okay?" Wanda assured Y/N as she moved to sit in front of her on the bed.

"Alright..." Y/N nodded giving Wanda permission.

Wanda took a deep breath before lifting her hands to either side of Y/N's head and summoning delicate ribbons of her power, connecting with Y/N's mind.

**

Wanda found herself stood in an office and as she turned around the door opened and three adults walked in, followed by a young girl. One of the adults Wanda realised was Tony, they were at what had been one of the Stark Industry office buildings.

The other male who had come in started shouting at Tony, they were arguing about a military contract and how the weapons were being mishandled. The woman also joined in with the heated argument saying that it was unacceptable and they had never signed up for this. The young girl, who looked no older than ten was stood to the side her blue eyes glancing between the group of arguing adults as she clung on to a stuffed bunny.

Wanda moved around the office, listening and watching the memory unfold, she realised that the two adults must have been Y/N's parents and the young girls was Y/N herself. She hadn't known that Y/N's connection to Tony had stretched so far back.

Y/N's dad slammed his ID card down on the desk saying he would no longer work at Stark Industries and turned around, scooping Y/N up and carrying her out of the office. Closely followed by her mum after she had also handed over her ID card and told Tony how disappointed she was.

The memory blurred and shift, Wanda found herself sitting in the back of a car. To her right young Y/N was sat and her parents were in the front. They were arguing with each other now, blaming the other for not having realised sooner what was happening with their research. Y/N was trying to ignore her parents arguing, nervously playing with the ear on the stuffed bunny,