Fight To Stay

The others had turned up barely minutes after Wanda. Nat had rushed out of the jet to help Wanda lift Y/N up from the ground carefully and carry her into the back of the jet. Steve called ahead to get the medical bay ready for them at the compound, a code red was incoming. A team member was down. Bucky remained behind in the woods to deal with the Hyrda Agents, to try and get answers from them.

"What happened?" Nat questioned Wanda as she looked between her and Y/N, it didn't look good at all.

"Y/N left the compound, she was upset. I tried to stop her. Those Hydra guys must have been waiting there but I don't know why" Wanda told Nat as she sat holding Y/N's hand. Wanda knew it would have probably been the last thing Y/N would have wanted but Wanda couldn't bare to leave her side.

The jet landed outside the compound after what felt like the longest ten minutes in the world and as the ramp dropped, Dr Cho and her team were already there waiting for them. They rushed in and transferred Y/N onto a gurney, hooking her up to a number of machines as they moved. Wanda finally had to let go of Y/N's hand so that Dr Cho could get Y/N rushed inside. It felt like Wanda was letting a part of her go and she had no idea why she felt this way about Y/N, they hardly knew one another. 

Wanda, Steve and Nat all followed Dr Cho into the compound, entering into the state or the art medical bay that had been built specifically for the avengers and their unique needs. Stark had been adamant that they have it just incase it was needed.

 Alarms were sounding on the machines and the medical team were working quickly to try and stabilise Y/N as she began to crash. Her body finally going into shock as the adrenaline subsided that had kept her going whilst on the jet. 

"Y/N come on, you're strong, you can get through this" Nat pressed her hand against the glass, watching as her friend fought for her life.

"This is all my fault" Wanda said quietly as she turned away unable to look any longer as Dr Cho's team worked to bring Y/N heart rhythm back.

Steve rested his hand gently on Wanda's shoulder. "It's not Wanda, we should have picked up on them being that close to the compound. I think the information we got about the Hyrda Base was a rouse to get us away from the compound" He explained, disappointed with himself for not having seen it.

The intercom beeped and Dr Cho's voice filled the waiting area. "Y/N's injuries are more extensive than we first thought. We're going to take her into surgery now, there is a large amount of internal bleeding. Captain can you get Stark and Banner here as soon as possible".

Steve nodded, "Of course Cho, keep us updated on any changes".

Wanda tried to reach out to see if she could feel Y/N but she found herself hitting a wall that she couldn't break through. If only she hadn't gone to the lab and pushed Y/N so hard to open up, then maybe none of this would have happened. The anger was building in Wanda, Hyrda were again hurting the people she cared about.

"Whoa Wanda calm down. Not in here" Nat said as she pointed to Wanda's hands.

Red energy was snaking around Wanda's hands and her eyes were starting to change. Taking a deep breath, Wanda closed her eyes and calmed herself and her power. As much as she wanted to make Hydra pay for what they'd done, she couldn't risk losing control here.

"Come on let's go and wait somewhere else" Nat gently took Wanda's hand and led her out of the Medical Bay, heading toward the communal area of the compound.

Steve excused himself to go and make contact with Stark and Banner, leaving the two women alone to talk.

Nat sat down on one of the leather chairs holding her head in her hands as she tried to collect her thoughts. "Y/N is strong she'll pull through this" She said it out loud to convince herself as much as Wanda. Nat was no doctor but she knew when Cho said that something was bad then it really was serious.

Wanda was pacing up and down the length of the lounge area, she felt so helpless. It was the worst feeling to have so much power but in moments like this it was completely useless. There was absolutely nothing that she could do to help Y/N and it hurt.

"I really hope you're right Nat. I can't go through losing someone again. Even if they do hate me..." Wanda sighed as she finally sat down in the chair opposite Nat.

"She doesn't hate you Wanda. Y/N has just been through a lot and hasn't quite managed to process it. She wouldn't have meant what she said to you" Nat assured Wanda, offering her a warm smile. "Besides nobody could hate you Wanda, you're amazing"

Wanda returned the smile, she was so glad to have Nat as her friend. They'd become best friends after what had happened with Ultron. It had been Nat who'd helped her work through her grief of losing her brother and the one who had been there when things with Vision hadn't worked out.

The minutes and then hours went by, Nat and Wanda both stayed sat together waiting for any news on Y/N's condition. It was the sounds of raised voices that made them both look up. Bruce and Tony were walking from the direction of the lab toward them, having a very heated discussion about something.

"What's going on?" Nat stood up, interrupting them both, folding her arms across her chest as she blocked them from walking past.

Bruce gave Nat an awkward smile before glancing at Tony, who rolled his eyes knowing that Bruce and Nat still weren't on great terms after things had gone south between them a few months ago. Nat had apparently been the one who had called time on whatever it was that had been going on between them. 

"Alright Romanoff no need to look like you want to tase us both. Bruce and I were just discussing an idea that's all" Stark shrugged, playing it cool in front of the ex Russian spy.

"A very bad idea" Bruce muttered as he cleaned his glasses, a habit he had when he was nervous about something.

"What's the idea? Is it Y/N? Are they okay?" Wanda asked having now moved to stand with Nat, fixing her green eyes on Tony.

Tony shot Bruce a withering look for dropping him in it with the two women stood across from them. "Dr Cho has managed to stabilise Y/N for now but she doesn't believe that Y/N's heart is strong enough to cope with the recovery it was damaged badly in the crash. They had no idea until they got her into surgery that it was as bad as it is."

Wanda felt sick and tears began to gather in the corner of her eyes as she looked between Tony, Bruce and Nat. "What is the idea Stark?" Wanda straining under all the emotions she was feeling. 

"The research Y/N was doing uncovered an ability in one of the alien elements, it can regenerate itself when it's damaged. I believe we could use this to help Y/N body heal itself." Tony explained, keeping things simple. 

"There isn't enough data on this Tony, we've barely scratched the surface. You have no idea what introducing an alien element could do to Y/N's body right now" Bruce argued, holding up the research file to emphasise his point.

"Y/N is the worlds best scientist in the field of anything Alien related. That's why we got her here, if she believed it was possible then I trust the research. If we do nothing then Y/N isn't going to make it through the night" Tony said bluntly.

Nat didn't hesitate "Do it Stark. For once I agree with you. Doing nothing isn't an option."

Stark gave Bruce a triumphant look and took the research folder from him. "I know you don't like it Bruce but we both need to figure this out and quickly."

"Please Bruce..." Wanda gave him a pleading look, if there was any chance of saving Y/N then Wanda wanted them to try no matter what. She didn't want to lose her chance go getting to know Y/N. 

Bruce finally nodded, "Okay, but if this goes wrong, I warned you all. This isn't on me."

With that Tony and Bruce left heading back to the lab to get started on figuring out how they could transfer the material into a form that could be administered to Y/N. 

Time was running out.