Anywhere But Here

Y/N had really wanted to speak with Tony but she had been told that he had left early that morning with Pepper and wasn't contactable until this evening. So Y/N had resigned herself to having to spend at least one more day at the compound.

Sitting in the lab, Y/N looked through the microscope adjusting it to focus closer on the matter samples. They moved with a life of their own that fascinated Y/N and if she moved the two samples closer to each other it was like they were trying to reach out to the other.

"Bruce and Tony aren't going to believe this" Y/N muttered to herself as she swivelled round to record the results on the computer.

"Hey" a voice came from the other side of the room.

Y/N spun round a little too quickly and found herself about to fall off the chair but just as Y/N should have met the floor a red glow wrapped around her and then Y/N was back up right on the chair. Looking up Y/N found Wanda standing there a light red glow was fading from the tips of her fingers.

"Sorry that's the second time I've made you jump, I'll remember to knock next time" Wanda said with small smile tugging at the corner of her lips as she looked at Y/N. "I just wanted to come and see how you were getting on with your science stuff" Wanda gestured to all the stuff around, though it was clear she didn't really know what any of it was.

"Oh yeah it's going alright. I was just finishing up with this, wanted the notes to be ready for Bruce to be able to pick up from where I've left off" Y/N replied as she slid the paperwork into one of the folders she had scattered across the desk earlier.

Wanda moved over to where Y/N was sitting and peered over her shoulder at the paperwork, tilting her head a little as she read the notes that Y/N had scribbled across the research. "Are you going somewhere?" She asked noticing that Y/N had written her number on one of the pieces of paper with a note next to it saying that Bruce could call her if he needed to.

"Does it matter if I am?!" Y/N snapped as she grabbed the bit of paper and put it into the folder with the rest of her work. She could smell the floral perfume that Wanda was wearing and felt her breath against the back of her neck, that's how close Wanda had moved to her. Y/N wanted to let herself enjoy it but as soon as that thought came into her mind, Y/N reminded herself that letting people in was too dangerous. 

"You're just going to leave?" Wanda frowned looking at Y/N, she could feel the confusion clouding Y/N's mind.

Y/N got up from the chair and moved away from Wanda, putting distance between them. Y/N wasn't sure why Wanda would care about her leaving, it wasn't like they really knew each other.

"Look you don't need to come here and stare at me like I'm some charity case. I'm fine and I don't need someone I barely know checking in on me, alright" Y/N knew she was being harsh and she regretted being like this, but it was the only way to deal with the idea of someone trying to get closer to her. Y/N had to push Wanda away, it was for her own good really.

Wanda arched a brow and shook her head not buying what Y/N was saying to her. "That's not how I was looking at you, Y/N. I just thought you might want to get out of here for a bit. I know what it feels like to be trapped in your past"

Y/N sighed wishing that she had just left earlier before anyone would have noticed. "I don't need any friends, okay? It would just be better for me not to be around here. I made a mistake thinking that I could do this, I can't"

"I don't think it's a mistake that you're here. Nat hasn't stopped telling me about all the great things that you've done and how much you helped her when you both worked at SHEILD. It sounds like we're lucky to have someone with your skills here" Wanda really wanted to reach out and comfort Y/N, there was something that had drawn Wanda to the new member of the team and whilst she wasn't entirely sure what it was, Wanda did know that she wanted Y/N to stay.