The Welcome Party

A few hours had passed and Y/N had hit her stride, she was assessing the data and had already worked out a number of formulas to show Bruce that would help them break down the components of the Alien matter that formed some of the weapons. Y/N was fairly convinced she had also come up with a way to combine the different elements, but she would need Bruce and Tony's inputs to be sure it could work.

"This is absolutely fascinating, it appears that this sample of matter can regenerate itself, a self healing process" Y/N muttered to herself as she scribbled more notes across the papers in front of her.

"You do realise you're going to end up being late for your own party if you carry on talking to yourself" Natasha Romanoff strode confidently into the lab, wearing a stunning form fitting black dress, her red hair falling in loose curls to her shoulders.

"Nat! Oh I'm so glad to see you, it has been far too long!" Y/N jumped up excitedly from her chair and hugged Nat tightly. 

"We literally met for drinks two weeks ago, you can't have missed me too much since then" Nat smiled warmly at her friend, glad to see that Y/N was much happier then she had been at the bar that night.

Y/N and Nat went way back, having worked together on a number of occasions back when SHIELD had been good. Y/N had actually been the one to create a number of the high tech weapons that Nat used out in the field. They had struck up an instant friendship from the first time they had met and it had been Nat who had first suggested that Y/N come and work at the Avengers Compound. Though at the time Y/N had declined and said she needed more time to process things.

"I know, but I mean the last two weeks have been a bit of a roller coast, so it seems like a long time ago. Do I have time to go and change?" Y/N asked as she began to tidy up the notes on her desk so they appeared somewhat organised.

"Yeah of course, Steve and Bucky are probably still doing their hair and Tony is probably showing off his new suit somewhere, so I would say you have some time to freshen up. Need me to show you to your room?" Nat asked as she lent against one of the other tables.

Y/N shook her head, "No that's okay Pepper did the grand tour for me earlier and showed me my room" Y/N grabbed her bag from the floor, sliding her laptop safely back inside.

Nat picked up a pen from the table she was leaning against and twirled it around her fingers, "So have to met anyone else yet?" The knowing smile that played across nat's lips had Y/N's cheeks turning red again. It appeared she was not going to be allowed to so easily forget her meeting with Wanda.

"Oh god, she told you didn't she?!" Y/N groaned, she had hoped that nobody else would ever hear about how she had hopelessly embarrassed herself on her first day of being at the compound. 

"Wanda couldn't contain herself when she burst into the training room to tell me. Seems like you made quite the impression on her" Nat teased. "She was very grateful that you fixed her laptop but was definitely more focused on the part where you thought she was beautiful" Nat smirked as she looked as Y/N's cheeks go an even deeper shade of red.

"She said she wasn't going to tell anyone. How am I suppose to have a meal with everyone now, they're all going to know!" Y/N sighed, this was not how she had envisioned her first day going at all.

"Come on Y/N it's not that bad and between me and you, Wanda seemed to think the same about you, so stop worrying about it" Nat gave her a reassuring smile, before gently nudging her.

Y/N felt her heart skip a beat hearing that Wanda had confessed to thinking the same about her to Nat. It seemed impossible that someone like Wanda Maximoff would think twice about someone like Y/N who was so ordinary compared to rest of the team. Y/N wasn't going to go getting ahead of herself though, getting close to too many people had burnt her in the past, she didn't want to make the same mistake twice.