34 - Aaron

I've decided to leave this line for comments on the motivational pictures <3

"Annalise this is your third day of skipping school, exams are coming up" I yell. There's no response so I barge into her room. 

She sits on her window sill with the most solemn expression I've ever seen on her face. I approach her gently trying to ignore how cold the room is, yet she's draped in a heavy blanket. I cup her cheeks with my hands to get a better view of her face.

"Hey, are you okay?" I ask calmly

A forced grin appears on her face before she replies, "I'm fine"

I pull her to my chest so she doesn't notice my eyes tear up. It didn't take a genius to know she was high and just when I thought everything was bad enough I hear her sniff.

"it's going to be ok" I whisper while stroking her back.

"It hurts Aaron, it fucking hurts. Why does it hurt so much?" she says in a barely audible tone 

She's talking about one of those triplet boys that transferred to our school and I know. I noticed her get close to one of them and as much as I wish I could prevent it from happening I'm glad it happened. I'm glad someone broke through her walls and made my sister feel again.

After their party, she hasn't been herself. Getting her to school on the first week was hell and when this week started she just didn't go at all. I know it has to do with the fact that Brayden started hanging out with this new girl. They're all in the same year group which made it more tormenting for my sister. At first, I had gone to beat up Brayden but when he explained his side of the story, I knew it would be unfair to hit him. However, I don't think anyone told Annalise that the girl was from his old town and they were simply childhood friends. Coupled with the fact that someone told him giving Annalise space would be the best option.

"I can't breathe Aaron," she whispers

"What did you take?" I ask while searching the room for anything. My eyes land on an empty orange container and my heart stops. With the feeling of spiders crawling my skin as my throat tightens up, I turn to her.

"Annalise, Annalise, fucking answer me. Annalise" I yell as her eyes roll backward.

Panic arises in me as I shake her fragile body,  instead of her waking up I notice white foam leave her mouth. Making me sprint to my room and call the ambulance as fast as my shaking fingers can dial.

"991, what's your emergency?" a lady's voice comes through the phone

"I think my sister overdosed," I say trying to keep the phone in my trembling hand. She asks for other details and I quickly reply. Faster than I expected the ambulance pulls up and they carry out a procedure on her before placing her on the stretcher.

"Are you coming?" the male nurse asks from the back of the ambulance.

I shake my head unable to form any words. "I need to make some calls" I finally stutter and he believes me.

As the ambulance drives away, I stagger back as though I was pushed by an invisible force. My chest burns as the lumps in my throat multiply. The room suddenly feels so hot as sweat trickles down my forehead. She seemed ok on Saturday when she came back wet. We even watched a movie together. How didn't I notice? This time there's no guarantee she would come out alive except for God. "fuck" I yell while slamming the front door shut. She can't see me like this. I have to be strong for my Annalise. I failed my dad, I failed my mum who went on a quick business trip with Brent, and last but not least, I failed my sister.

I place my head in my hand before calling the one person I can rely on right now.

Yes, the story is coming to an end 😫