27.The birthday dinner

Comments for motivational quotes <3

As I go over my options I realise I'm better of on my own. My mum would panic and probably call a hairstylist while for Lori, I think she would have done all the shopping before stopping over at my house. And I don't want any of that, I don't want to appear like I'm trying too hard or rather I'm doing too much which leaves me with zero options.

Releasing a sigh, I walk to my wardrobe and scan through it trying to find anything decent but didn't scream trying hard, because l'm not trying too hard. Right?

Against my mum or anyone else's judgment, I pick a pair of black baggy jeans and a bleached hoodie because I know it would be extremely cold at the time we meet.

As I set my outfit on the bed Aaron barges into my room.

"I said fucking knock!" I basically yell while laying my clothes on the bed

"mum says you have a meeting at the restaurant," he says while I push past him and sit on my vanity's stool

"was that all, did she tell you the time and person's name as well?" My sarcasm clear as day

"drop the sarcasm Anna, she just wanted to know if I knew who it was"

"I'm not telling you if that's what you're here for" I smirk as I watch his frown deepen through the mirror

"ok then, at least tell me the time you leave the house"

"I'm not telling you" I mutter while trying to figure how to make my hair look proper

"let me help," he says gently as he takes the scrunchie from my hand. I tense up at the thought of him, seeing the bald patch but he doesn't seem to notice or just chooses to ignore it for the sake of not ruining the short moment of bliss.

In what seems like an hour, he finally steps away. He made cornrows but they were really pretty. For the first time in years, I looked in the mirror and didn't feel ugly. For the first time I liked something enough not to focus on my other flaws.

"we could loosen it," he says shyly

"what? no way. I really like it" My eyes still not leaving the mirror

"you've become such a pretty lady kiddo" he whispers and before I can say anything else, he's out of my room.

I feel a little guilty for not telling him the time but I also know he will never let me leave home so late.

My mum lets me skip dinner because she knows I'm going out, even though she hasn't asked me the time yet I know she's itching to do so. Fortunately, she doesn't and as the clock strikes eleven my heartbeat picks up.

I take a quick shower, dress up and make sure I hadn't ruined the hair Aaron made for me

The restaurant was just two streets away, plus I had walked home some days when I had no ride from the clubs I had snuck into so it was no problem taking my bicycle at all.

I grab the spare keys and my phone before heading to the restaurant. The first street is dark and empty, regularly I ride past two or three people who are either quiet or yelling something inaudible. Apart from that everything is dull, with only one or two houses having their lights still on. But once I leave the estate and enter the next street, the bright neon lights, loud music, everything announces the clubs and bars that plan on going all night.

Finally the restaurant comes into view, it doesn't appear empty but it also doesn't look as full as it usually is. I check my watch and it's eleven thirty-five. I groan at how late I am and when I spot Brayden's car in the parking lot it makes me more anxious than when I put on my clothes.

Pushing the negative thoughts aside I approach  the modern brick building with windows that reach the floor. It's a beautiful unique bungalow with these cream colored lights that give it so much life. But it's not the lights I like or the clash between modern and historic designs for the exterior, it's the plants. None of them are pretty, yet they stand.

Brayden is sitting by the waiting area which I remember Brent's setting aside for people with no reservations. I take in the fact that he doesn't look upset, he actually looks calm as he goes through his phone.

"Good evening, can I help you?" The lady behind the desk asks

"I'm looking for Brent," I say while waving over Brayden, he notices me and walks over.

"you look amazing, love" he compliments and when his eyes scan me over again, I bite my inner cheek to stop me from revealing how much he affects me.

He doesn't look bad, just a pair of  blue jeans and a green sweatshirt that takes all the attention away from his eyes.

"I'm sorry but you can't just request our manager," Her tone too cold, the old me would have walked past her or even pulled the my mum own the place card.

I do neither, instead I calmly say "ok, then check your books for Annalise Zion" Her eyes widen at my name and she immediately opens the door. I nod politely, and when she moves to stop Brayden  I glare at her enough for her to step aside.

Riverside is fairly large and people knew my parents so it was no surprise that they subtly looked my way. Which makes me question if the receptionist behaviour. I lead us to the window seat reserved for two and Brayden follows with no objection.

"So is this the part in some cliche movie where you say you own the restaurant ?" he teases

"very funny" I roll my eyes

Brent appears at our table and after little introductions, he takes our order.

"so, why am I at a restaurant at past eleven with Annalise Zion?" Brayden asks

"Because...." I pause and realize how stupid my answer would sound

"come on, I'm not one to judge. I mean I must admit, it's refreshing to be out at night and with you"

"I take that as a compliment," I say trying to change the topic

With luck on my side, it goes smoothly, and soon, our food is being placed on our table. I went with ribs and chips while he picked pasta.

We eat in silence till I notice how he had been staring at me. "what?" I ask

"Nothing, it's just this is my first time seeing you eat" oh. I nod my head at his answer and after that, the conversation just took a random turn.

From how it's like living as triplets to how he's not really excited for his party.

Until it struck twelve and the staff at the restaurant began singing the happy birthday song while Brent led them with a cake that had one candle on it. Brayden looks at me with the most sincere smile ever, and the whole plan became worth the risk.

Sooooo what did you think ?
Annalise seems to be making bold moves  lately.