28.The birthday dinner con'td

I've decided to leave this line for comments on the motivational pictures <3

"Woah" he mutters as he finally takes his eyes off me and stares at the cake. My eyes roam every inch of his face, memorizing the moment because I don't know if I'd ever see him this happy again. And the fact that I made him smile this much makes me feel happy, before I can stop myself a small smile forms on my lips.

The staff stop singing and walk away leaving only Brent. He has been the restaurant's manager ever since my mum opened it. The fairly tall man is in his thirties with a loving wife and this cute daughter I never let get close to me. Brent has always been the goofy kind which I hated but the fact he helped me put a smile on Brayden's lips, is something I won't ever forget.

I mouth a thank you to Brent and he takes it as his cue to walk away.

"go ahead blow the candle" I urge a smiling Brayden

It wasn't that large but it was enough for him, plus it was chocolate fudge which I know is his favorite. It's something he said one of the days on the roof where he spoke a lot.

He blows the candle before reaching for the knife. When he cuts the cake open, he chuckles making my eyebrows shoot up in confusion.

"you were listening," he says with his eyes not leaving mine

I knew what he wanted, unfortunately, I couldn't answer the question because even my mind didn't have want he wants. Clearing my throat, I look out the window silently watching the night sky. Everything seems so calm at night making me consider spending some more time outside.

A sigh leaves his lips as he continues to cut the cake. I watch everything he does through the reflection, from how he stares at me for a split second before looking away like he was too scared I'd catch him. Once he places a slice on my plate I turn to face him. He smiles gently at me in a way that had my eyes glued to his green ones. I don't realize just how much I was smiling till I heard a click from Brent's camera, and at that very minute, I question everything.

Before I could scare him, he runs off to the kitchen probably to send it to my mum.

Brayden calls for someone to pack the cake and once they do, I realize how late it is. Shameful or not, a part of me wanted to spend the whole night with him. I already paid the bill after we ordered because I knew even if it was my treat, Brayden would have made sure he paid.

Once they wrap the cake, Brayden says goodbye to Brent while I glare at him for his stunt earlier. Brayden opens the door for me and I suddenly wish the hoodie was twice as thick as it already is.

"Happy Birthday Brayden," I say as we walk into the parking lot. Something about the whole occasion seemed lovely, we both couldn't stop smiling, I had so much adrenaline coursing through my veins if he hugs me right now, I believe this night will never end. I, Annalise Zion for the first time in years is excited.

"A text message would have been perfect but I just want to let you know that, this is the sweetest thing anyone has ever done for me" His eyes glowed with enough happiness to back up his words

"I'm glad you liked it," I say trying so hard not to let him see how wide my smile can get, I start to question what I may have drank but I play along with my facade up.

He looks around the almost empty parking lot twice before looking back at me.

"I'm serious Annalise," he says in a serious tone, stopping me right next to my bicycle

I look up at him "what?"

"it's the first time someone celebrated me without my other two brothers present,"

"You know what they say, there's a first time for everything" I move towards my bicycle and he follows me unsurprisingly

"Let me take you home," he says

I considered my options, it was too cold to ride my bicycle alone at night. Plus if I got attacked by one of these clubs goers no one would find my body not that they care. Then there was mum and Aaron they would want to know who brought me home, and why. Plus mum would quickly invite him for dinner. Well, there we go.

I look up and I see the hope in his eyes for me to let him in but I just can't.

"It's fine, I had it all planned," I say

A smirk lands on his face and I can't help but worry about his next move.

"I wasn't asking my love" and without warning, he picks up my bicycle and starts walking to his car

"Hey, I can ride home by myself" I yell across the parking which echoes considering how empty the space is

"Didn't ask, come on" he yells back

Muttering a bunch of curse words, I walk over to his car.

It's dark so I can't really make out the color or how it looks, but the seats are comfortable and I don't know if he saw me shivering earlier but he puts on the heater. I quickly note how the car smells like him and how neat everywhere is.

He drives quietly, putting all his attention in the road, and even though I want him to say something, I enjoy how I feel comfortable. How I feel happy. I probably would have slept off in the car if he didn't pull over.

I look out the window and see my house, all the lights are off but something tells me they were both awake. Maybe it's the fact that I notice the curtains move. They've probably received the picture from Brent, and all I can only hope is that my mum doesn't get too excited because I know she'll ramble on about everything concerning me.

The support I'm getting on this book is insane. I love every single one of you. Thank you so much for ever considering this novel, I hope the message I'm desperately trying to pass is received.
Also it's a short chapter but who cares, right ?❤️