30.The new reflection

I've decided to leave this line for comments on the motivational pictures <3

"not that"

"no"

"too covering"

"nope"

That's all I've been hearing for the past thirty minutes since Lori burst through my bedroom door saying that we had to get ready for the party together. According to her, it's what best friends do.

"I don't even want to go" I groan before walking to my bed

My head begins to spin from how frustrated I am. This morning had gone well. When I woke up mum was gone faster than a one-night stand who fears complications. It didn't bother me one bit because I knew she left only because she thought I would push her away by morning.

She made breakfast for the three of us, and we ate in silence till Aaron decided to apologize to both of us. My mum apologized as well but I just ignored him, I wasn't upset but his words from last night still bothered me, so when they went on joking like the early hours of this morning I quietly left to my room.

"It's just one night Anna," Lori says as she goes through my already scattered closet.

"What does it matter?" It's rhetorical, when she rolls her eyes I figure she understood my tone

A notification comes in putting our conversation to an end.

Thank you for yesterday, see you later love - Brayden

A frustrated groan leaves my lips as I pull on the tips of my hair because the roots were weaved. Call it a tantrum or whatever but I didn't want to go, and the burn in my chest was enough to prove my point.

Making a mental note to buy a cig pack tomorrow, I push past Lori and pick a black halter-neck mini dress.

"so you had that all along?" she yells but I just ignore her

It was already four and the party starts at six, but Lori insisted we got there late. Something about stealing the show.

"ok, let me do your makeup," she says opening a box that gave me a mini anxiety

"no, thank you," I regret saying it the moment her excitement slips away

I respect anyone who did makeup, but I never had the strength to sit or desire to do it. Even if I was going to a party I just don't feel the need.

"come on Anna" she pleads

"Nope," I say while popping the p

"fine" she mutters before doing hers on my vanity

I didn't understand what she was doing, but one thing was for sure. She sat in the chair for almost an hour if not more.

"finally" I mutter when she gets up

She ignores me and walks to her bag which I guess has her dress for tonight.

"Silent treatment, how mature" I mutter but she just takes a dress and walks into the bathroom making sure to slam the door shut

I sigh before laying back on my bed

After a few minutes, the bathroom door flies open revealing a very beautiful Lori

"can you do my zip?" I try to cover my laughter with a fake cough before helping her pull up the zip

she moves to walk away but I block her

"fine, I'm sorry. You can do something little if it makes you happy" a smile makes its way to her lips as she squeals.

Just like that, I spend almost thirty minutes in front of the mirror but it would be a lie if I say I don't see a difference. She didn't do much, something with a mascara that made my long eyelashes look fuller, glitter scatters around my eye making me uncomfortable. It's the lips I like, something about the outline and glossiness makes me genuinely like it. In general, I feel worth staring at.

"girls," my mum says when she enters, she gasps as soon as her eyes land on me

I groan and grab my dress before going to put it on in the bathroom because the last thing I needed was her gushing about how good I looked.

My hands run over the soft material of the dress that clung onto my body like a second skin. I wasn't skinny or thick but I had curves I didn't want anyone to see.

A knock brings me out of my thoughts

"Jacob is getting impatient, lets go. And no turning back now" Lori yells from the door

Rolling my eyes, I look over my dress once more, and a small smile forms on my lips. I had forgotten what it felt like partying. And now that I was going to one, I couldn't help but feel nostalgic.

I couldn't walk in heels to save my life, so I just grabbed a pair of doc martin boots and headed downstairs.

Lori was gone leaving my mum and I.

"look, I know this party means a lot to you if not you won't be dressed up. But please don't go back to your old habits" My mum says with her voice cracking

"I won't mum, it's a one-time thing," I say as I unplug my phone from the charger, it was almost eight

"What time would you be back?" she asks in concern as we head down the stairs

"truthfully mum I don't know but I'm sleeping in, I promise," I say when we reach the door, she hands me the three boxes of shoes I bought for Brayden and his brothers

I place a light kiss on her forehead and she just smiles "you look beautiful" she yells as I run towards Jacob's car

"love you" I yell back and Jacob starts the car before I could see her facial expression

"took you long enough" he mutters before handing the weed to Chris, he takes a drag and passes to me.

My hands had itched for it the very moment I smelt it in the car.

For the first time this week, I take a drag and it cools every form of nerve I could possibly have. The soft paper settles in between my lips long enough to give me relief. And as I close my eyes, everything feels right; this is that feeling. 

"don't hug it, Anna" Chris whines

I groan before passing it but Lori shakes her head so I pass it to Jacob. The music fills the car as Jacob dashes through the dark streets.

I can't believe Painting Annalise is #1 on sadromance, #3 on Mentalhealth and depression. I'm so glad people are willing to read this.

I'm going to start giving shoutout to every single person that has motivated me to keep writing.

These are not the only few people, they're just one of the first ❤️

Thank you so much AkshitaaN staceywithnancy23 naleoleo lonellydreamer