06.The first heartbeat

I've decided to leave this line for comments on the motivational pictures <3

The roads are still wet so I decide to walk because the last time I biked in the rain you can say it didn't end well. The permanent scar on my elbow was a continuous reminder.

The early part of the morning is gone, which explains why the roads are busier because of the kids going to school and the adults going to solve world problems. Note the sarcasm.

I place my lips on the cup causing the hot coffee to burn my tongue. A normal person would have screamed or maybe hissed but I sigh as my tongue goes numb. Repeatedly burning my tongue, the black coffee gives me the rush to stare at the school gates and not turn around.

"you had me worried" Lori yells as I walk into school

She attracts weird stares, mine included. Even after that large cup of coffee, my morning isn't all rainbows. Two mornings with her, I figured the energy is just in her system because I didn't see energy drinks in her house, nor did I see any coffee.

"I'm a seventeen - year old, who has walked the streets of this town since I was seven alone. Why would you worry?" I ask as she drags me to my own locker.

Jacob and Chris catch up to us at my locker. "large coffee, bad morning" Jacob says dramatically, more like sings.

I groan throwing it in the bin. "why do you guys have this great energy every morning?" I mumble pulling my sweater to cover my hands.

"because we aren't you" Chris replies excitedly as if he won a lottery. The congratulatory pat on his back from Jacob was probably worth it for him. I ignore them. I drop my bag and get my books, while they chat about whatever new gossip there is so I tune them off.

Not bothering to attract any attention I walk to class leaving them to whatever thing they found interesting. At least I tried to until they realized I wasn't there anymore and ran up to me.

"We followed you to get books, and you left us," Jacob fakes a hurt look

Before I could enter the classroom or give him a smart reply, I get yanked by my wrist. Hurriedly snatching it back a string of curse words leave my mouth at the contact. This catches the attention of the others who were already halfway through the door. "what's wrong with you?" I hiss

The others stare confused at Brayden as well.

Ok, go back to where I listed the things I hate and add body contact. I hate being touched, especially without warning. It was something I developed along the line for reasons unknown to me. From holding my hands to hugging me, it made me feel dizzy. A mere shoulder contact irritates every fiber of my body, except it's from people I'm closed to. It's just the way my brain is wired to work.

He shrugs before looking back at my friends. "can I talk to her?" he asks in a mocking tone

"I have a mouth, no one makes decisions for me," I'm trying to be as calm as possible.

Daily he infuriates me. From his side comments to his teasing tones - that only I seem to pick up. Not to mention the smug look on his face when I catch him staring at me. Like he's studying me. When I first saw him, I expected him to be some nerd who only cared about things like math. Turns out he was a genius with a golden boy feature. Not to mention those glowing grey eyes I had come to hate.

"you heard the lady," Jacob says as they all walk inside together, except for Lori who sends me a questioning look. I guess that makes two of us because I am confused as well.

He stretches something out, and it wasn't till I looked at him well did I notice he had been holding a coffee cup.

"what's in it?" I ask eying the cup

"strongest coffee ever" he whispers like it's some top secret. Did I mention he had a playful part I had come to notice from him always sitting with us at lunch?

Collecting the cup gently, I open it. It did smell strong, but I wasn't a coffee addict I just had a large cup. Plus, he was staring at me again. Weird dude.

"it's not hot" I mumble dropping the cup in the nearest bin

"that was straight from that café," he says nonchalantly, but I know he cared. I saw the hurt that flashed through his eyes when I threw the cup away.

"stalker" I mutter walking towards the class

"more like a person who can't enjoy his morning because of a girl fighting an elderly barista," he says opening the classroom door for me.

"I thought it was ladies first?" I ask in a deadly serious tone

"exactly why I opened the door for you"

"it should be irritants first, so then I could open the door for you" I whisper so only he could hear. From his little frown, it was clear that the comment didn't sit well with him.

"Mr. Parker, I won't tolerate you coming in late again," the older woman says to Brayden who just stares at me in shock then back at the teacher who had started writing on the board.

The teacher ignores me as usual, only if the students could do the same. Instead, they stare like this was my first time in school.

Brayden moves to take the empty seat next to me but I place a random person's bag on it. He snickers giving the bag back to its owner before turning to me.

"you really thought a bag would stop me from sitting next to you, love" my interest sparked at his endearment, as well as the students in front of us.

"you have really outdone yourself today, stay the fuck away from me" he raises his hand in surrender

"ok, love" I ignore him, not because I hated him. I mean that was the first reason. However, it's because of how daring he is and for some reason his words made my heart pick up. And for the first time in a while, not for a panic attack. 

His confidence and forcefulness in creating a friendship just seemed to increase every time I attempt to push him away. Except for Lori, Jacob, Chris, and Casper, people rarely spoke to me. Maybe out of guilt about how they treated me in lower school or fear of how I would treat them now, they just didn't bother me. Of all the people I know, I have been the meanest to Brayden. Yet he decides to call me love, and in front of everyone. The last thing I needed was people assuming I'm with him. Because that's high school, the land for cultivating rumors. 

I wouldn't even consider him a friend not to mention how there were already tales about how I slept around, it probably wouldn't take long before they made up something about the grey-eyed idiot and myself.

Who noticed the new cover? 😏

And 300 READS !!!! 

Thank you so much, everyone. You make this worth writing ❤️