5.1 - Job Offers & Dinner Parties

5 years later

I woke up with the sun hitting my eyes, I had forgotten to close the blinds and the new bedroom was directly on the way of the sunrise. I groaned and moved around on the bed, slightly bumping into a shirtless body.

I looked at the ceiling for a second before raising my hand in front of my face to fiddle with the diamond. It had become a habit for the past few months I've had the ring on. I finally walked downstairs, I grabbed a few things from the pantry and from the fridge and made myself a smoothie. I rushed back upstairs and he was still sound asleep like always.

I went into the closet, grabbed some workout clothes and headed to the gym in the room by the pool. I worked it for about an hour before reaching over for the smoothie for an extra boost. Still covered in sweat I went into the bedroom to find the bed empty.  I grabbed two towels and walked to the bathroom and turned on the shower.

"Morning babe" He said. "I'm leaving now"

"Oh, okay" I smiled. "Don't forget we have that dinner party at Valerie's"

He scrunched his face. "I have a meeting that might run late, I don't think I can make it"

"No! Don't do that! I told you a week ago, I even texted your secretary about it" I groaned.

"She got fired" He said.

"Wait what? Didn't she start last week?" I asked.

"Yes babe but she just wasn't good at her job" He replied. I rolled my eyes. "Don't be mad, I'll try to make it"

"That's what you always say" I sigh. "You're going to be late"

"Yeah, bye I love you" He shouted halfway out the door.

"I love you" I whispered.

I got into the shower and washed away the sweat trace of the work out. I jumped out of the shower and blow dried and straightened my hair, going for a simple everyday makeup and walking into the closet again.

oliviaastor

story posted

story posted

I walked to the garage and got into my car, taking my usual route to work and parking in the same spot as every morning. I used my ID to enter the elevator and select the floor and I walked down the floor to my office.

"Morning Olivia" My assistant said.

"Morning Charlotte, how are you?" I asked I opened the door to my office and set everything on the table.

"Well, my cat has been sick for a week and we found out she has cancer" She looked down.

My face dropped and I felt for her. "Oh no, is there something you can do?"

"There's a surgery but it's very expensive, the doctors can't guarantee it's going to work" She sighed.

I felt even worse. I can't imagine what it's like to want to save something you really love but you don't know if you can afford it. I've always had the privilege  to never worry about money. I looked around my desk and opened the drawer to my side. I pulled out my checkbook and wrote down a generous amount and signed it before ripping it out. I gave her a faint smile and I extended the check.