Chapter 36- Morning Coffee:

I crept under the sheets quietly, wrapping myself into a warm ball. God, I felt like shit. I was so tired. The emotional high I had been riding had finally dropped, leaving me half-dead. As I tossed and turned under the covers, I was reminded of something Annie had said to me:

"...I'm glad you were able to save him, again."

Save him? No, I wasn't a savior. I just happened to be at the right place at the right time. Eren was getting better on his own— it had nothing to do with me. I was just a girl he liked to have sex with. Yeah, it was toxic, but our relationship always had been. I didn't mind. It was my own fault for staying with him. Besides, the sex was great. What else could a girl ask for?

Okay, well, a girl could probably ask for a lot more.

Eren had his faults— it seemed like he had definitely turned into the fuckboy that I had assumed him to be. But, if he was happy, so was I. After awhile, his behavior started not to bother me as much. Plus, I noticed he had toned it down a bit after he had begun recovering. He seemed to be putting on less of a front when I was out with him now. When he had gotten out of the mental hospital, he had been trying too hard. Now, he was being a bit more genuine. He had found the balance between functioning and being real.

I was proud of him— I could barely see the scars anymore. There had been no fresh marks in a long time. And his mood had improved drastically as well. He was definitely more upbeat, showing more emotion and enthusiasm than ever. I didn't care what kind of person Eren turned out to be anymore, as long as he was happy.

Still, even I was curious as to what finally pushed him to want to get better. Maybe he finally realized how many people loved and cared about him. Maybe Eren found something to give himself meaning, even if a part of him still felt like life was pointless.

I knew that I shouldn't have been dwelling on it, but it was hard not to wonder. Ever since I had first met the kid, I never had been able to tell what he was thinking. Nothing had changed since.

"Oh well," I sighed. "It doesn't really matter, anyway. As long as he's not trying to kill himself, everything should be okay in the end."

With that one thought to console me, though it wasn't very consoling, I drifted off to sleep.

Something woke me up in the middle of the night— it sounded like my door creaking open— but just as soon as it happened, the sound faded away after a slam. I sat up and scanned the room, covers bunched around my waist. Everything was as it had been when I had first gone to sleep— door closed and lights out. Hm. Odd.

When I got out of bed the next morning, tired and groggy from sleeping in my uncomfortable dress, Annie greeted me in the kitchen. She squatted on a chair, chewing on a donut, scrolling through her computer. There were deep-set bags under her eyes.

"How'd you sleep?" she asked, eyes still glued to the screen.

"Well enough. Thanks for lending me your bed. I'll get started on cleaning the sheets—"

"Eren tried sneaking into your room last night," Annie said bluntly, finally looking up at me with her piercing stare. "I caught him, though."

I raised an eyebrow, "How did you even hear that?"

"I don't sleep," she stated matter-of-factly. "That should be obvious to you by now."

"Why not?"

"Busy."

"Okay..." I paused. "Where's Eren?"

"He woke up early to get breakfast. I'm not feeding you two."