Eighteen

“You are mine too, Brandon, my husband,” I mutter with my hands between my legs.

“Always, El, always.”

Silence descends on us, a small smile settles on my lips, I am still reeling from the fact he thinks so highly of me, that he wants me as much as I want him, maybe even more and at the sight of my card, my smile grows. I tuck it into the envelope and place it inside the pocket of my coat, I will inspect it later.

The car slows to a stop in front of a refined restaurant with a foreign name, Brandon places another kiss at the back of my hand and steps out to open my side of the door. I get out of the Ferrari, place a chaste kiss on his lips and wrap my arms around his waist. My head rests on his chest, his heart beats in sync with mine and the rhythm calms me. I pull away when his hand comes to rest on the small of my back, filled with a strange but warm emotion.

Our fingers are laced together as we walk the short distance to the entrance of the restaurant and I shiver in response to the cold. I would have taken my coat in the backseat if Brandon didn’t say otherwise and I hope he has good reasons for that. His long-sleeved turtleneck paired with black trousers and suede boots helps to keep him warm but I can’t say the same for my knee-length floral gown. I shiver again and he squeezes my hand, I can’t wait to be inside and warm.

Little thoughts went into my packing and I have repeatedly refused Brandon’s offer for us to go shopping for more weather suitable outfits. He has done enough for me, plus, we don’t leave the room so often. We step into the restaurant and I bite my lips hard to stop myself from opening my mouth in awe, it feels like we walked into a movie scene.

Soft music plays from an unknown source in the empty place, all the lights have been dimmed to create a romantic ambience. I gulp at the sight of the small candles lining either side of the entrance with rose petals scattered all over the path Brandon and I will take. A sweet fragrance hangs in the air; I wrap my arm around Brandon’s as if to convince myself this is real. It is. It is real.

“I rented the whole place for the night,” Brandon whispers in my ears and I fight the urge to start bawling like a new-born. He did say we were going on a proper date, nothing like the diner or park but I was not expecting this.

Brandon’s arms running up and down mine brings my attention back to his face, I sniff and wipe those traitorous tears that spilt to my cheeks. A line appears between his brows, I reach out to smoothen it and palm his face, conveying my emotions through my tear-filled eyes. He has gone out of his way for me on several occasions yet I have done nothing to repay him. Not even once.

“El, are you okay?” I nod and his fingers come to my cheeks to wipe the tears leaking out of my eyes. “You don’t like the place? I don’t like it when you cry and if it’s cos of this place, we could go somewhere else.”

My palms cover his, I shake my head slowly, preparing to speak when a lady approaches us. Her eyes dart between me and Brandon whose back is turned to her, I offer her a small smile, tiptoe to give him a kiss that shows everything is fine. I love this place.

Brandon’s hand wounds around my waist when the lady clears her throat and I bury my head into his chest, listening to his heartbeat. I like to think his heart beats for me, same way mine does for him. He might claim to be unable to love me but his actions betray his words, he cares deeply for me and I intend to bring out the lover in him. Loving him is easy, he makes it so easy.

“Welcome Mr and Mrs Stark, my name is Sadie and I will be attending to you for the night,” the woman says. “Come with me.”

A ghost of a smile flitters to my lips, at least I can pronounce her name easily. I giggle and stop almost immediately when I feel Brandon’s gaze boring into me, I don’t want him thinking I broke down again. I’m fine.