41 ~ Positions and Prudes

^^^Emery's room^^^

Adelaide

"Why do you look like you'd rather be anywhere but here?" Emery asks me, tossing herself onto her king sized bed.

I sigh, embarrassed how I unintentionally wear my heart on my sleeve. I tried to push past it but that woman always finds a way to ruin my fun.

"Actually all I want is to be anywhere but home. But my mother sure knows how to guilt trip."

Em rolls into her stomach, propping her head up on her elbows, "Ugh, I know how that is. What happened?"

Two Hours Earlier

Miller is across my room looking at a photo of me and my sister when my mom finally picks up the phone. "Hi, mom. I'm just calling to let you know I'm packing for my sleepover at Emery's."

"Oh. That's tonight?"

Miller looks at me so I send him an reassuring smile and turn around, walking into the living room. "Yes. It is. I mentioned it to you as often as I could so you wouldn't forget."

"I didn't forget. But I don't think tonight will work Adelaide," The finality in her tone is just blatantly dismissive. Like she expects me to say yes ma'am. Not to question it. Because that's what children are supposed to do, fallow orders blindly because otherwise you're talking back and being disrespectful.

Unfortunately for her ego, I won't blindly fallow anymore, "Why not? It's the weekend."

I hear her excuse herself from whoever she's with before she lets out a familiar disappointed sigh, "Katarina has been having night terrors again for the past couple days. You know this."

"Yes I know that. Did you get her prescription refilled?"

"Adelaide, you're the only one who can calm her down. You need to stay in her room with her until Monday, that's when her medicine is available."

My usual frustration starts to build, "It's not my responsibility! If you learned how to be gentle with her instead of getting irritated with her screaming you wouldn't need me every time it happens. I'm a teenager mom and I've never even slept over at a friends house. Don't you see an issue there?"

"Adelaide. You slept at that girls house on New Years. And this isn't up for discussion. I can see you're upset about it but you can always have a sleepover next week. Maybe with that lovely girl Bree? Emery and her parents are—"

I cut her off there, "Mom. Bree Hanson isn't my friend. I told you she isn't a kind person and that she's manipulative."

"You're always so quick to believe gossip. I talked to her myself and she was plenty nice."

Hypocrite. She's the one who's quick to believe the first thing she hears, I'm the opposite. She just proved how little she pays attention to me. "She isn't. Emery is my friend and I'm spending the night at her house tonight. Katy can sleep with you for one night."

Her control starts to crack, "Adelaide Harper."

"You can ground me tomorrow, I don't care. I'll call you later," I hang up and run my hands through my hair, forcefully pulling through tangles. I never go through with it but sometimes when the anger builds, an irrational temptation to pull my hair or slap myself takes over. Not someone else because I could never inflict pain on someone out of anger, just myself.