32 ~ Calls and Chills

Adelaide

      I curl in on myself deeper, holding my phone to my ear. My heart is beating a little faster than average so it's making me feel out of breath. One last ring and the line clicks, his deep voice feeling like an antidote.

"Hey weirdo."

I smile and bite my lip to hold back a sob. This. This right here is the man I fell for. He's goofy and broody but hides the biggest heart behind a hard exterior.

"Hey loser. How was your Christmas, I know it's pretty late there now," I ask in a singsong voice, trying to cheer myself up.

He laughs, pulling his phone away to tell someone it's me on the phone. But he referred to me as Addy instead of his girlfriend. Which means he told that person about me. His mom maybe? It makes me happy, it means I'm important enough to mention to his family.

I want to meet his mom and sister one day. I think we could get along if they're as great as Jonathan says.

"I had a great Christmas, my mom is over the top as usual with gifts," He laughs and sighs, probably sitting down because I hear a ruffle sound before he settles. "Just got back from ice skating. I could pass out I'm so tired."

I feel a squeezing from deep in my chest. I'm such a horrible person, I can't believe I'm envious of my own boyfriend. I need to be happy for him and not compare our experiences.

I breathe out a low laugh, "It's hard to picture you ice skating."

"What's that supposed to mean? I'll have you know I could go pro if the outfits weren't so sparkly and...tight."

A real laugh escapes me when an image of him wearing a leotard pops into my head, "You sound like you're speaking from experience."

He scoffs, "Hell no. I've seen what male ice skaters wear Addy, in fact, tonight there were a couple on the rink. Impressive but I could never."

I giggle, bringing my knees up to my chest and hugging them. I feel so safe and relaxed. It's quiet with Christmas music lightly playing through the phone. "You guys play Christmas music all day or something?"

He grunts and I could practically hear him roll his eyes, "Jaylen insists every year. Says it's illegal if we don't. Whatever that means."

I smile, my voice low from the warmth of his bed relaxing me, "I'm happy you're having fun out there. I know how much you missed them."

I force myself to swallow, a pathetic noise trying to climb it's way out of my throat. It feels like a hard ball of air, so thick I could choke.

I missed Kris so much. But it's like he wears these glasses, put on by my mom that makes him unable to see the truth. A total mama's boy. I bet he's thinking I'm acting just like Alex and Katy, difficult and childish. He's helped mom with them and now me. Always told me he appreciated how respectful I am. Probably meant obedient.

I realize how long of a moment passed in silence when Jonathan's voice comes through hushed, "Are you okay?"

The cry in the form of an air bubble threatens to escape again but I hold it back. I can't control tears though, so my eyes get flooded with them and blur my vision. I close my eyes, the tears stream onto the pillow beneath me. "Yes."