3.04 ➷ so say you'll pull

PART FOUR
• ‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾  ☽༓・*˚⁺‧͙ •

four

FIVE YEAR OLD ICHIKA MEZUKO stumbles down the staircase of her mother's apartment complex

FIVE YEAR OLD ICHIKA MEZUKO stumbles down the staircase of her mother's apartment complex. Her eyes turned hazy from the tears that clouded her vision, but she does not utter a word nor a cry.

Her shoes had been so rugged that she did not see how the soles slowly ripped and got caught on the staircase, making her lose her footing and trip over. Luckily for her, she had only climbed up for less than five steps, so she did not fall too steep.

"Oh dear!" The old lady who owned the bakery in the first floor quickly walked towards her and held her shoulders, lifting her up and brushing off her raincoat. "Goodness, are you alright? How are your knees?"

It was not raining at all, in fact, the skies were the most sunny since summer had only started. But the five year old did not own any other pair of clothing except her school uniform and once ragged dress which she found hard to wear nowadays, so she took one of her mother's smaller shirt and covered herself with a raincoat.

"My, why are you outside so late? Is Aiko not home, dear?" Ichika could feel the sincerity she longed for laced in the voice of the elderly woman. She nodded in reply, her head still low.

The old lady flinched at the sight of the bruises on the child's shoulders and knees. She sighed, "Why don't you come and drink some juice in my—"

"Ichika." The young girl's head snaps towards the direction of her mother's voice. Because the sun had just set, she found it hard to see what her mother's expression was, but deep down, she knew.

Her mother never gave her any other expression but that cold icy glare that she's grown accustomed to.

"Mother." Ichika's voice was as equally cold and hoarse.

"Mrs. Mezuko! Ichika had fallen down—"

"Ichika, up. Now." The woman looked at her daughter blankly. It infuriated her how the small child was an exact replica of herself—it made her skin crawl and her knuckles clutch as far as it tints into white. The young girl did not utter any reply, she simply nodded once and ran to the stairs until her little feet reached the outside of her mother's apartment.

"Thank you, Anne. I'll take care of her now." Aiko Mezuko's cold voice made the old woman shudder, even more so when she walked past her with no emotion in those cold eyes.