A Fresh Start

Y/N couldn't contain her excitement as she was shown into the high tech lab at the Avengers Compound. Today was her first day assisting Bruce Banner with his research into the alien weapons that had been recovered from a number of the Avengers missions. She had been a scientist for SHIELD before, well before that had all been turned on its head and disbanded.

"Bruce is committed for the day but he has left you a file with your logins and the current data pulled from the last round of tests to go through" Pepper smiled gesturing to a desk set up for Y/N.

"Thank you Ms Potts, I'll get straight to it" Y/N put her bag down on the desk, pulling out her own laptop and setting it next to the file.

"You can call me Pepper, Y/N, we have known each other for two years" Pepper laughed as she headed out of the Lab. "Oh and don't forget that Tony and Steve have arranged a meal later, so you can meet the rest of the team" Pepper said over her shoulder before leaving, the tap of her heels fading down the corridor.

Y/N looked around the lab, her bright blue eyes excitedly soaking in all the screens and specialist equipment in the room. She felt like a kid in a candy shop, finally having access to all of this again.

It had been a rough couple of years, figuring out what to do after the collapse of SHIELD but thankfully, Tony and Bruce had been able to convince her to come and work at the compound after she had originally decided that she didn't want to be involved in this work anymore. She had lost everything when SHIELD had been compromised, it wasn't just her research and her job, but people she had thought were friends had turned out to be Hydra operatives and it had crushed her trust in people.

"Bruce! It's happened again, I can't get this stupid laptop to work!"

The sudden interruption made Y/N jump and she glanced up from behind her desk, where she had begun pouring over the research data and was shocked to see Wanda Maximoff standing in the door way, holding the laptop in question.

"Oh sorry... I thought Bruce was here..." Wanda apologised, offering Y/N a small smile.

"I think he is out for the day, Pepper said he had something to sort out. Can I help at all?" Y/N replied and gestured at the laptop.

"Well if you don't mind, I don't want to take up your time though it looks like you've got a lot of work to do"

"It's okay, just a few reports to read through it won't take me long. I can spare a few minutes to help the one and only Wanda Maximoff" Y/N said with a playful smile pulling at the corners of her lips.

Wanda laughed and walked across the lab to where Y/N was sat at her desk. "Flattery will certainly get you far around here, everyone has rather large egos, even if they won't admit it"

"I'll be sure to remember that. So what is the issue with the laptop?" Y/N asked as she took the laptop from Wanda when she held it out.

"I can't get it to load anything it keeps saying there is an error" Wanda frowned, frustrated that she still couldn't get the hang of all this tech stuff that the compound was filled with.

Y/N run her fingers through her hair, before gliding her fingers across the laptop keys and immediately seeing what the issue was. "Ah, yes that's what's wrong" She said more to herself that Wanda who was watching Y/N with great curiosity.

"There you go all sorted, just a minor programming issue, it should work perfectly for you now" Y/N explained as she turned the laptop round to show that it was now working.

"Thank you!" Wanda said excitedly, scooping the laptop up off the desk. She didn't want to admit that she only wanted the laptop to work so she could carry on watching Netflix. She had become obsessed with a baking show in there and had to know who won.

"Sorry, I totally forgot to ask your name!"

"Not a problem, I'm Y/N. Very nice to meet you" Y/N held her hand out to Wanda.

"Nice you meet you to Y/N. Looks like you are going to be a great addition around here" Wanda shook her hand gently before beginning to make her way back to the door way.

Y/N watched as Wanda walked away, she had only ever seen photos of Wanda and well they really didn't do her any justice. She was even more beautiful in person and Y/N found it hard to pull her eyes away as Wanda made it to the door of the lab.

"You're not to bad yourself" Wanda winked at Y/N as she stopped in the door way, having been able to clearly hear what Y/N was thinking.

Her cheeks flushed deep red and Y/N tried to say something but no words would leave her mouth as she wished the ground would just open up and swallow her whole before she died of total embarrassment.

"Don't worry I won't tell anyone" and with that Wanda left, biting her lip to stop herself from laughing. She hadn't expected her morning to go like this but Wanda found herself extremely glad to have found Y/N in the lab instead of Bruce.

Y/N groaned and held her head in her hands, first day on the job and she was already making a fool of herself. How could she hope for the Avengers to take her seriously? Deciding to file this moment right in the back of her mind in the hopes she'd forget it ever happened Y/N buried herself back into the research. She knew Bruce would be expecting her to present her findings and she wanted to make a good impression.

She replayed the interaction with Wanda at least five times after it happened and each time Y/N cursed herself even more for being so socially awkward. There was no way Wanda was ever going to take her seriously, she probably thought Y/N was some crazy fan now.

Not that it mattered though, it wasn't like Wanda would ever be interested in Y/N, after all she was a powerful super person on a team of super people and Y/N was just a boring scientist. It wasn't going to do Y/N any good thinking that she would have a chance, so better to stop those thoughts now. Though it was nice to dream for a moment that someone might care about her.